DIY Rail Square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics are just off a 'phone Marcros it sits absolutely flat and square to the track and no movement when the clamp is locked as it pulls really tight to the track. - to date at least! 10mm Tufnol is quite heavy and though I have a bit of alloy I used that as it's easier to work and I wouldn't be too unhappy at scrapping it if it was a disaster.
Where would you put the washers?

I bought my rail square but...

a big improvement to the squares shown is a tab that supports the weight of the square itself when in use. you possibly/probably need one to work on each side. A penny washer would probably do the task, but a sliding tab would be better.

It might be Bob's camera angle, but you can almost see the assembly is rotating towards the camera. My Aluminium one is going to be heavier, so the issue more pronounced. It certainly helps before the saw is put on the track.

I was going to do this too, as well as the clip and also the self squaring bit. But in practise I didn't find I needed any of it for my particular usage.

But of course, each to their own :)

I might however add the penny washer, on an offset rotation so you can rotate it in/out

Last edited:
This is my version made from 10mm tufnol. I rounded the heads of a couple of bolts, shortened and cut a slot for screwdriver then threaded holes in the tufnol, once I got a good fit I used threadlock to keep in place. The reference edge is a bit of aluminium tile trim glued on and I added the clamp so easy to fit and dead square every timeView attachment 94550View attachment 94551View attachment 94552View attachment 94553View attachment 94554
Looks great, are you able to share where you got your clip from? Are the available from EBay?

Thanks
Mark

Back