DIY mini trimmer table T Track positioning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny

Established Member
Reaction score
I have two wooden 3x drawer filing cabinets. 640mm x 450mm

For some time now i've had the idea of inserting a Makita Trimmer router into the top of one of them and a jigsaw in the other.
I see many advantages in using a filing cabinet as opposed to building from scratch .

The cabinets are on wheels so highly maneuverable. They roll under the worktops out of the way when not in use. I can also use them for project supports and for supporting large sheets for ripping etc and the drawers will come in very handy for storing related tools and consumables and they look good to boot.

This morning the T Track that i ordered from China has finally arrived. (Axminster were out of stock !)
I’m keen to make a start but I would really appreciate some advice about where to position the trimmer insert plate and the T Tracks. I’m only going to get 1x chance at this and I want to get it right .

Most of the youtube mini trimmer table videos place the trimmer right bang smack in the middle of the table but I fail to see the advantage of this ?? Surely if you mainly work from the one side it would be better to place the insert towards the rear in order to maximise your table space in front of the trimmer bit for your workpiece. ?
trimmer table layout.JPG

Last edited:
wow ....not a single response ,as usual, ...not even a negative or a snipe .... ;)
I am disappointed as usual at the lack of advice and help offered to those of us that are just starting out on our adventure in woodworking.
it would be easy for a noobie to become disillusioned or dispondent
I can see that I am going to have to work this problem out myself somehow

Give us a chance, I for one have only just seen this!

The reason that routers are more central is that there needs to be room for a fence behind them. This can be quite large, with facilities for positioning closely, and for dust extracting.

If all you are ever going to do is trimming then a fence is not so important. But some kind of guard near the cutter is good for safety. I don't like the idea of a router exposed in the table with no attempt at safety.

Filing cabinets may be too manouevrable. You don't want to chase the machine round the workshop while trimming. You should make some wooden wedges to jam it into position (and use them).

Back