DIY Hydraulic frame/ panel press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any advantage in using very high pressure in glueups as opposed to the "normal" clamping pressure that we usually use?

Does this result in a stronger joint?

If so what's the point since normal glueups give us joints which are stronger than the wood anyway?

I can't see the point. What am I missing?

Martin.

MJP":29dfg579 said:
Is there any advantage in using very high pressure in glueups as opposed to the "normal" clamping pressure that we usually use?

Does this result in a stronger joint?

If so what's the point since normal glueups give us joints which are stronger than the wood anyway?

I can't see the point. What am I missing?

Martin.

You don't have to exert more pressure than you normaly would.
Is it a stronger joint? I don't think so.
The + side, as I see it, is that you don't have to meddle with clamps, for panel glue-ups, as you always have a dedicated and setup place for it. Comes in handy for frames also, as you have a right angle to reference off.

I was just reading (or was it YouTube?) a suggestion that the pressure you put into clamping stays within the joint/work - if you pump a billion tons per inch pressure into your glue-up, then that energy is still contained within the work, and may lead to cracks and failures as the wood stresses are released over time. It seems a plausible theory. Then there is the whole thing of forcing the glue out of the joint, leaving it allegedly weak.

Better minds than mine investigate this stuff, but I am now leaning towards less pressure rather than more - I will be watching this thread with interest to see if I am having up the wrong tree.

According to the techs at Titebond, most woodworkers use far too little pressure when clamping.
(They had a chart on their website.)
I'm guessing they're just covering their buttocks in case someone complains about their glue, though.
Getting back to the hydraulic press in the video, the amount of pressure it can muster isn't what I find interesting, but rather
the ease of operation.
No one says you have to use it at max pressure.

Look up veneer press and cold press on ebay. They often go very cheap when auctioned. Lots of different types and styles.

20141221_170740.jpg
I have a cider press I made which uses a bottle jack - I had never considered it as a clamp. Currently it is the rack which holds my (not very) extensive clamp collection - time to clear it off and press it into service (see what I did there)?

Attachments

• 20141221_170740.jpg
    20141221_170740.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 342
That's a cool cider press. Necessity, mother of invention...
I once made some Oak slats for a fellow who made a somewhat similar wine press.
He also used a jack like you did. Worked great.

yanky":4urqszli said:
Look up veneer press and cold press on ebay. They often go very cheap when auctioned. Lots of different types and styles.

A veneer press is a different beast.
I actually have looked locally for a used panel/ frame press. Best case, by the time I get it home and do a few repairs and alterations is ~2000E.
If I was to build it myself, the materials would be about 300-400. That's why I asked if anyone considered making one.

I don't do the volume of work necessary to justify the space needed for a dedicated clamping press and I have a 625 sq ft / 58 sq m shop. Now if one were to make a panel saw / clamp press....... :wink:

Pete

dzj":3eyh4taq said:
yanky":3eyh4taq said:

A veneer press is a different beast.
I actually have looked locally for a used panel/ frame press. Best case, by the time I get it home and do a few repairs and alterations is ~2000E.
If I was to build it myself, the materials would be about 300-400. That's why I asked if anyone considered making one.
True, but people listing them don’t know what the correct names, and are often just dealers, so they are listed under names like “cold press”, “laminate press” and even “veneer press”. I bought one which wasn’t hydraulic and it still gives sufficient pressure due to the small size.

Latest posts

Back