DIY fitted bedroom furniture?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bone

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some 'fitted' furniture for a bedroom at home.

I want to buy this in and fit it myself, but don't know where to shop now that MFI have gone (had previously done the same with Schreiber branded units) .
The reason for buying in rather than building from scratch is purely about time and aesthetics of the doors available (foil wrapped, countoured edges)
Have looked at IKEA but not impressed, and a complete lack of 'decor' panels that would enable the units to be scribed into the wall or ceilings, or to make up infill panels on site.

Open to ideas and suggestions, particularly with personal experience with suppliers in or around East Grinstead, Sussex.

I am also open to local craftsmen, who could supply and fit, just that I don't want to pay Sharps prices.

Buy Ikea, buy some thin 10mm MDF, scribe the decor panels yourself, or get a local handyman type to do it for you.

The handy thing about Ikea is it's all modular - so you can buy JUST the wardrobe carcass and customise to suit. There will be little difference in the carcassing between Ikea and other companies that do the whole "built in" thing, unless you REALLY wanted solid wood / plywood carcassing.

My father wanted a wall of "built in" shelving for his home office, but isn't fond of paying through the nose for certain things. I suggested several of Ikea's Billy bookcases, but the ones with real veneer rather than plastic (they paint better), at a couple of different widths. Solidly fixing them together and to the wall plus adding a decorative deep ogee plinth and big cornicing (MDF), all painted ivory eggshell.

Looks the business and a fraction of the price a conpany would have charged for essentially the same thing.

Thanks for the input chaps.

Have found Schreiber in Homebase, now trying to wrangle a design and price via that route.
With regard the IKEA option and making scribe and infill panels, that approach would be is okay if you want a painted finish, but I am concerned that trying to match the carcass veneer otherwise might not be so successful.

Also investigating with a local joinery shop for a bespoke option.

rafezetter":2yflp7f5 said:
Buy Ikea, buy some thin 10mm MDF, scribe the decor panels yourself, or get a local handyman type to do it for you.

The handy thing about Ikea is it's all modular - so you can buy JUST the wardrobe carcass and customise to suit. There will be little difference in the carcassing between Ikea and other companies that do the whole "built in" thing, unless you REALLY wanted solid wood / plywood carcassing.

My father wanted a wall of "built in" shelving for his home office, but isn't fond of paying through the nose for certain things. I suggested several of Ikea's Billy bookcases, but the ones with real veneer rather than plastic (they paint better), at a couple of different widths. Solidly fixing them together and to the wall plus adding a decorative deep ogee plinth and big cornicing (MDF), all painted ivory eggshell.

Looks the business and a fraction of the price a conpany would have charged for essentially the same thing.
Sounds great, you got any pics of the install?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I fitted some for a customer who had bought them in a B&Q sale and they were ok for the money they paid.

Latest posts

Back