DIY dust cyclone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nippychippy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I been looking on the forum and the Internet with no real luck and I want to build a dust cyclone to work with my scheppach dust and chip extractor it has a 6" flex hose so does anyone have good plans to make it work on a 6" pipe Cheers for the help guys

Robert

As Carl said. Thien seperator.

I built 3 about a year back. 1 on 4" pipe, one on 2 1/2" pipe, and 1 I built into a large industrial vac. Easy to build, with hardly any science to worry about.

WIP's on this site (including 1 of mine). Just do a search.

If you do build one, be sure to do a WIP.

Good luck.

The Thien Separator is one solution and I use it on two dust extractors.

A second choice would be the Cyclone Central site where you can buy a cyclone to use with your dust extractor as the suck provider. Cheap (£90), works well and is cyclone shaped.

Al

Nippychippy":37l9679l said:
Hi guys I been looking on the forum and the Internet with no real luck and I want to build a dust cyclone to work with my scheppach dust and chip extractor it has a 6" flex hose so does anyone have good plans to make it work on a 6" pipe Cheers for the help guys

Robert

Here's mine. (Video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UopsGH-Yzf4

Nippychippy":31lm0ub7 said:
Cool got it finished today the plastic bin sort of sucks in if use a 36 mm hose not sure if that's ok

I got myself a stiffer bin and started again. :roll:

Hi guys,
Sorry to come back to this, but I am new to the forum.
I have a couple of new chip/dust making machines, a plane/thicknesser and a large panel saw but my present collector get nothing into it an the chips land on the floor or stick in the collector on the machine.
The present collector is an Axminster perform 1/2 hp and does not have enough suck at 500 litres p min Axminster say 1000 minimum for each of both machines. I now have to look at bigger but I do not like the chips and dust going into a fan first then a bag so thought about a cyclone that I could make and traffic cones look good to me as they are all over the place in various states, the biggest ones would give a huge cyclone and put into a dustbin would be OK. The top might make a smaller one as well. My biggest trouble is that after paying for the tools I need it to be as cheap as possible.
Gwaygway

You don't need to complicate things with a cone, as said up there, a thien separator will do the job. Essentially use your bin with an input and output at the top (with an angle on the input) and lower a baffle in the bin. The baffles needs a cut out, but you will get all that info on the web. Plenty of us have made them and they work a treat.

I posted this up a few days ago for reference, it shows clearly the bare minimum needed to get going and the principle and effectiveness of it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QCAOwSqrko#t=33

gwaygway":wk7es81o said:
Hi guys,
Sorry to come back to this, but I am new to the forum.
I have a couple of new chip/dust making machines, a plane/thicknesser and a large panel saw but my present collector get nothing into it an the chips land on the floor or stick in the collector on the machine.
The present collector is an Axminster perform 1/2 hp and does not have enough suck at 500 litres p min Axminster say 1000 minimum for each of both machines. I now have to look at bigger but I do not like the chips and dust going into a fan first then a bag so thought about a cyclone that I could make and traffic cones look good to me as they are all over the place in various states, the biggest ones would give a huge cyclone and put into a dustbin would be OK. The top might make a smaller one as well. My biggest trouble is that after paying for the tools I need it to be as cheap as possible.
Gwaygway

Mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UopsGH-Y ... 4-overview

This is mine a road cone a length of 150 mm pipe and a plant pot cheap and cheerful works well I have a 40 gallon plastic drum as a container

Back