DIY Drum sander motor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning on making a drum sander like the one shown in this video. I will only be using it for very small projects, mostly sanding components for keep sake boxes, so I don't need a huge amount of power. However, rather than having a drill sticking out the side, I want to make a more permanent solution. Given how cheap mains drills are (£15 from Argos!), I was thinking I'd just buy one, take it apart and mount it on the side with some pulleys (all boxed in for safety of course), or maybe even mount it direct drive?

But then it occurred to me that when powered from a mains drill, the speed is probably turned right down? so I am now thinking if there would be a more suitable motor? (although not a massive induction motor).

I appreciate it will cost more this way, but I don't mind spending more if it's going to be more suitable.

You can buy similar 550 motors that are used in drills all over ebay in various speeds but remember that drill will still be geared and not direct drive I would have thought.

You can buy them geared downbut not sure on how far you go and whether that would be too far.

To be honest you could probably use a motor from something like a broken tumble dryer or something.

You can buy similar 550 motors that are used in drills all over ebay in various speeds but remember that drill will still be geared and not direct drive I would have thought.

You can buy them geared downbut not sure on how far you go and whether that would be too far.

To be honest you could probably use a motor from something like a broken tumble dryer or something.

Yeah, having looked at images of the insides of a mains drill, my idea of taking it apart won't work, as all the gearing sits inside the plastic body of the frame.

As for the 550 motors, they're for cordless drills, and as you say, don't have the gearing. I'd also need a transformer to bring 240v down to 18v.

I was kind of hoping I could buy a mains powered motor, with all the gearing, that I could then attach a pully to.

You are going to want a bigger motor, you are looking for torque, the resistance from the sanding drum is pretty substantial.

I think you could look for a treadmill on ebay or gumtree, even a broken one and you would have almost all the bits you need to convert it to a drum sander.
There is a youtube guy who built a complete workshop from old scrap machinery and stuff.

Ollie

You want something that is happy running for a long time (as you will take a lot of light passes) and fairly slowly. A mains drill is not that. Try buying an old lathe and using that.

Yeah, having looked at images of the insides of a mains drill, my idea of taking it apart won't work, as all the gearing sits inside the plastic body of the frame.

As for the 550 motors, they're for cordless drills, and as you say, don't have the gearing. I'd also need a transformer to bring 240v down to 18v.

I was kind of hoping I could buy a mains powered motor, with all the gearing, that I could then attach a pully to.

You could just try a corded drill.

EDIT: as above, it won't do it any favours!

Search eBay for this guy seller:hebdenmotorbits
Normally has 200w and 500w treadmill motors with speed controller, between £50 & £80 last time I looked.

If you are planning on using a pully
I don't mind spending more if it's going to be more suitable.
but you also say

I am now thinking if there would be a more suitable motor? (although not a massive induction motor).
The problem is that the most suitable motor is an induction motor. A ¼ or even ½ horse motor isn’t that big, while you can easily find used motors of that size (washing machines use them) many need placing so they are protected from dust.

for extremely occasional use a smallish universal motor will be OK but they are loud. You can also find DC motors like thiseBay 12 V ¼ horse one but probably only new and the size is similar to the AC ones, though the price isn’t.

That's exacty the same plan I'm going to use, but probably using a spare 1200w drill which will suffice for my needs I think.

I had thought about a pair of stepped pullys like on a drill press to control speed.

Last edited:
If you do decide on using an induction motor I purchased one for my homemade bandsaw from electrotechdrives they have a good selection at a reasonable price

If you do decide on using an induction motor I purchased one for my homemade bandsaw from electrotechdrives they have a good selection at a reasonable price

Thanks. I know that an induction motor would be most suitable, but they're huge. I am planning on making this to be much smaller than your average hobby drum sander. Something that will sit on a bench with probably only a 300mm drum. The widest thing I will be passing through it will probably only be about 100mm.

The distance between the windings is part of what makes the motor large, it also helps with the torque it delivers which is useful for you. I made mine run on a JET midi lathe and that has I think about a 1kW induction motor, 350mm long drum, mostly 50-100mm wide things being sanded. It was a bit short on power and got rather hot.

I think you could look for a treadmill on ebay or gumtree, even a broken one and you would have almost all the bits you need to convert it to a drum sander.
Thats some idea if you are looking for something on a larger scale, all you need is to get the treadmill belt coated with abrasive and a fence/alignment system and you have a large sander ready to go.

Back