Diy domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats etsy like for selling? Ive been thinking about starting to sell some of the bits ive made
Thanks, kev
It’s good. Really easy way of setting up a shop or store-front, and a surprising number of people use Etsy as a ‘destination’ - I’d assumed my traffic would all come through me promoting it on my YouTube & Insta, but 20-30% just comes through folks browsing Etsy. 👍👍

Not sure I can post a link to the kit without incurring the wrath of the admins (or buying an ad…) but perhaps another member might? 🤔 Mine’s a CNCd version of the DIY jig I posted about back in May - video here - and afaik it’s the only jig that allows for a narrow and wider slot in the same jig, without re-setting anything or moving a stop. There’s a preview of it in the current YouTube vid, here

First batch of the smaller jig (there are two sizes) is in hand now, I should have them in my Etsy in a couple of weeks or so. 👍

Hi Peter - what price are we looking at for the CNC version please?

Hi Peter - what price are we looking at for the CNC version please?
Hi. Sorry, don't really want to get into discussing firm prices publicly just yet, but let's say I'm aiming at under £50 for the smaller jig. There'll be an optional 'starter pack' with a 5mm spiral upcut bit, enough dominos to make a couple of carcasses and a few mistakes, and the option of a Trend 18mm guide bush at a good price, for those that want a complete solution. It'll be optional though - if you have eg the guide bush and a bit already, then you can just buy a small pack of dominos elsewhere (~£15 or so) and get yourself started.

And let me just pre-empt the sputtering"...FIFTY QUID for a couple of bits of PLYWOOD SCREWED together!! 🤬" comments by saying that I've already shown how to make a version of this jig back in May, and even supplied plans for it; this is for the folks that don't want to do that, that want a ready-made solution. You pay your money, and make your choice. 👍

Sometimes, the value of your time is worth more than the effort. I recently did my truck brake pads, took about an hour and 30 quid for pads.... or £120 i ats! So i did it.... but i once had to replace a manifold on my 3000gt. I got a price of £180 quid labour and i let them have it.... i didnt want the hassle/ struggle with lack of room etc. It took them nearly 2 days! It probably would have taken me a week 😆

Bit of an update:
Today i used it for the first time properly.... overall its fine, but i had a couple of teething problems.

Firstly the oak tenons were definitely harder to get in and out than the pine ones and some are dead tight, while some were just a touch loose.

Biggest problem though, was i tried reversing the reference sides to see how well they lined up in use..... one pin hole was 2mm out!! Which was a pain.

My makita routers dust extraction is poor at best, so i had to do the holes, hoover, go again to be sure. Overall it works, but its not fast. It'll be good for units that cant have fixings through the sides, but for a cab thats got side panels etc, itd be quicker to screw and glue!

I'd like to try a domino and see how quick they are to set up, use.... the plus sides of a jig like this is that you clamp it on, just lined up with the front edge and theres mo marking etc needed.
I guess perfect fits need cnc accuracy and tenons that are better than a bandsaw cut. Mind you, i think i had a 6mm blade in it when i zipped them out 😆

Attachments

• 20211230_105118.jpg
    20211230_105118.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211230_105130.jpg
    20211230_105130.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20211230_095913.jpg
    20211230_095913.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20211230_095805.jpg
    20211230_095805.jpg