Diy bandsaw extraction... my simple idea.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8squared

Established Member
Reaction score
Reading up on all things good on the forum i came across the above topic... specifically extraction from under the table rather than the bottom of machine.

I thought this solution could be the answer to my problems as i have a Aldi special bandsaw which has had one big problem since day one.... the plastic geared teeth that allow the guide to raise and lower become clogged... you only know its clogged when you turn the plastic knob and it becomes loose as a result of the geared teeth not moving and the knob cracks.

I told them of this issue so they sent me another knob but after dismantling the saw, cleaning and cleaning it soon became clogged and broke that too.

Anyway..........

This isn't perfect as it was a mock up but works great so leaving it as is.... only problem is i can't open bottom door without removing it........ but if i need to open door its to change blade so it will have to come off anyway... i also still have full tilting table possability.

21nfu3r.jpg

2rpy34x.jpg

zxpqmd.jpg

I cleaned out the bandsaw then got to work cutting a few templates in 1 1/4" mahogany.

The result was little dust in the bottom wheel which from experience with the machine will build up and shake out the bottom of the door.... i still have the rear extraction port i could use to remove any excess.

The main concern was the dust that got to the top wheel and after the test i am pleased so say there was very little dust in it... compared to what it would normally be.

Only time will tell if it is a real solution to my problem.

33v2o1d.jpg

28rmq6h.jpg

Good job mate! I have quite a few of those, "temporary mock ups, that become permanent solutions" knocking about my workshop too.

Those ugly things you knock together as a quick one-off answer to a problem seem to last the longest in the workshop. I had a bench-hook that was quite the ugliest thing I've ever made.......and it must have lasted 30 years. I finally burned it earlier this year, and made a couple of decent ones. Anyway, this quick fix of yours will probably still be hanging off the bottom of your bandsaw table in 20 years time! Why? Because it works.........and that's all that counts.

Something I've been looking at recently. I have a cast iron table so was considering glueing a magnet to a hose section or vacuum attachment - the idea being I can move it about if the table is tilted etc. No idea if it'll work.

Latest posts

Back