Divider tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamRounce

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - this (from "Instructables" 11-point Divider), looks like a useful gadget.
20201002_102545.jpg
Does anyone know if a version is commercially available? At a reasonable price?
Thanks,

Despite seeming to have so many points - I would say that it is entirely pointless. Don't waste your money or time on it.

If I want to divide something into several equal parts I just use my long steel rule and lay at an angle so the rule is measuring something easily divisible by the number I want and make a mark. Extend these marks to the edge with a square. Easier to do than describe.

Despite seeming to have so many points - I would say that it is entirely pointless. Don't waste your money or time on it.

I'd agree with that unless you're marking loads and loads of identical pieces. Ruler and mental arithmetic (y)

That woud work.
Or a slanted ruler as porker says.
Or, my usual approach, a pair of dividers. The clue is in the name.
Except in this case they multiply - if you set them up with a slight error, you will end up with a large error at the end of the run. The multipoint divider and the sloping rule avoid that problem.
Brian

Except in this case they multiply - if you set them up with a slight error, you will end up with a large error at the end of the run. The multipoint divider and the sloping rule avoid that problem.
Brian
That's true, there is a bit of trial and error involved.it is still the way I tend to work though. I am no stranger to trial and - especially - error.

These "lazy tong" type mechanisms require surprisingly good pivot points if the acculumulated slop is not going to be a problem. A bit like those pantograph mechanisms for enlarging / reducing drawings.

Yes, but so many times I've wanted eg 15.5mm into 6 parts, so had to work out a table: 2.6, 5.2, 7.8, 10.3, 12.9, 15.5 - a boring chore, after a while very boring! You can't always use a ruler at an angle, eg on a long thin thing.
I thought a precision-ish version, out of stainless steel, yes like a pantograph, could be useful sometimes.

Five minutes with a spreadsheet could create a re-usable template to feed in the length divided by number of parts required and then multiply the result progressively for each position measurement (i.e 1 x ?, 2 x ?, 3 x ? etc)

why not just use a simple divider? you don't even have to think of numbers and calculations, just set it up to divide in 6 parts, run it along the wood, no maths needed.

why not just use a simple divider? you don't even have to think of numbers and calculations, just set it up to divide in 6 parts, run it along the wood, no maths needed.
Brian
For those who can do a bit of CAD, design a bespoke scale, print it off and take it to the workshop
Brian

Latest posts

Back