Disston No7 Panel Saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
With the inclusion of the English pattern traditional lambs tongue within its shape my personal preference does favor the No.7 handsaw over that found within the Disston's D7 series handsaws.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/7page.html

The following No.7 Panel Saw was owned by my late father. It has the H DISSTON & SONS medallion & etch that allows me to date this saws production to circa 1900 -1917.

It has a 22 inch saw plate; and is 10 ppi; with a crosscut tooth.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/7page/7etch3.jpg

This saw has seen many years of service during my fathers working career as a certified Carpenter & Joiner; commencing at an early age as an apprentice in Scotland during the early 1950s under the tutelage of his employer, a Master Craftsman of that era.

The following compares the difference in the cut of the saw plate within the saw handle of this 1900-1917 circa Panel Saw to that of a D8 Panel Saw of a later 1917-1928 circa.

This final photo is of my fathers Panel Saw after its been resharpened, and a new stained finish applied to the handle.

regards Stewie;

Stewie,

It looks wonderful. I know your Dad is smiling down at such a wonderful job. If it's a user, enjoy it, as I know you will. Jamey

That looks just like a mid-19th century Sheffield-made saw - straight-back nibbed blade, lamb's tongue handle, thumb-notch at the top, three screws, one of them a medallion. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear it was a copy!

Joking aside - those panel saws can be a joy to use. Thinner gauge blade and smaller size than a full-size handsaw, so quite a bit lighter. For some odd reason, handle sizes seemed to be related to saw size rather than hand size (especially in the 20th century - not so much in the 19th), and many people find panel saw handles a nicer fit to the hand than the larger saws, which seem to have been sized for someone with hands the size of shovels. For cabinet work, with a lot of 1" timber and not so much thicker stuff, 10tpi is just about right, too.

Lovely job on refurbishing it, Stewie; did you have to do a bit of blade straightening? There seem to be a few marks towards the toe end.

Hi CC. The hammer marks were not my work. Hasn't effected the straight line of the saw plate. Wonderful feel to this hand saw.

Stewie;

Back