Dissassembling Union Graduate for transportation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgranag

Reaction score
Dear All,
I have seen a Union Graduate (30" bed) for sale and am interested. However, transport is an issue, and I was wondering about disassembling it to fit in a large saloon, boot and back seat. Any opinions?
Kind regards
Gerard

It comes apart into three heavy pieces and a light piece, the bed has two bolts to the leg, and three to the headstock. The bed to headstock is also pinned by tow pins, these just slide out, no persuasion required. The outbound platform equally is a couple of three bolts. However, lifting the headstock is probably a 2 or better still a 3 very capable very strong person task. It’s extremely heavy.

I fitted a 30" UG (in 3 parts) into the back of my VW Amarok. Just two of us to get it in and I got it out on my own. Heavy but it can be easily done!

Just to give a final update. I hired a van. I'm glad I did. While the headstock/pedestal would dimension wise just about "fit" in my car boot, in practical terms it would be almost impossible to lift out again. Also runs the risk of destroying the car bodywork! We kept the lathe intact throughout. It took 4 folk to lift in into the van, but myself and a mate slid it off on a 7' ramp made from two lengths of 6x2 and some OSB sheet. Once on the ground we pushed it along on more OSB sheeting. I agree with the posters above, its very heavy....... ! As above, a pick up truck would be good, or maybe a flat loading estate car.

Well done, hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. At least you were on the flat, mine initially went into a cellar workshop (in pieces), a lot easier than getting it out (again in pieces). Unfortunately it is still in bits 5 years later, waiting for the new workshop after our move to Spain, the removal men had a few grumbles and it has moved twice since it arrived here. Hopefully only a few more months and it will be back in service.

Back