Disposal of wood chippings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a Peterston press for mine and make briquettes out of them. I don't use any mdf in my workshop just ash, oak and pine. In the winter I burn them on a woodburner along with the usual logs. The process is time consuming and a bit messy but it's free energy cuts down on our use of the oil fired central heating.

There are many YouTube videos showing how to make and use them.

I made a Peterston press for mine and make briquettes out of them. I don't use any mdf in my workshop just ash, oak and pine. In the winter I burn them on a woodburner along with the usual logs. The process is time consuming and a bit messy but it's free energy cuts down on our use of the oil fired central heating.

There are many YouTube videos showing how to make and use them.
I just burn the stuff direct. There are ways to sort out the handling to make it convenient and not too messy. No need for briquettes, except for the storage space if you were using a lot and keeping it through the summer etc.

The recycling centre on the trading estate at the back of where I live tell us to put glass in with the metal recycling. If in wooden window frames they'd "like/appreciate" it - but don't require it - if we removed the glass so the wood can go with wood and glass panes in the metal skip. Funny how some places have differing rules on objects being recycled. Try and do your bit and..
It is a case of different uses for the material.

Old wood can be used to make chipboard. I think it helps because it generally has a lower moisture content than new wood. But the factory may not be able to sort out glass, putty etc other than by eye.

Some wood and glass would not be a problem in a bast furnace, I assume. But they may have to adjust things to control the chemistry of the steel. They add trees to up the carbon content of steel. Do not know what the silicon from the glass would do, most likely adds to the slag.
I do not know what would happen to the wood and glass in an aluminum furnace, maybe wood burns off and the silicone goes to a slag.

It is a case of different uses for the material.

Old wood can be used to make chipboard. I think it helps because it generally has a lower moisture content than new wood. But the factory may not be able to sort out glass, putty etc other than by eye.

Some wood and glass would not be a problem in a bast furnace, I assume. But they may have to adjust things to control the chemistry of the steel. They add trees to up the carbon content of steel. Do not know what the silicon from the glass would do, most likely adds to the slag.
I do not know what would happen to the wood and glass in an aluminum furnace, maybe wood burns off and the silicone goes to a slag.
I was under the impression that the metal skip would be sorted through when getting to the next point from the centre and not all in to a furnace of some type or other. Something along the lines of a magnetic grab if fed along a conveyor or similar. Some means of sorting out the aluminium etc., along with the other types of metals (copper etc.,) and rubber (from old bike frame wheels)... I'm sometimes surprised at the stuff in the metal skip. At least it isn't ending up in landfill.
The recycling site also has a skip for stuff being taken there and designated for "energy".

I was under the impression that the metal skip would be sorted through when getting to the next point from the centre and not all in to a furnace of some type or other. Something along the lines of a magnetic grab if fed along a conveyor or similar. Some means of sorting out the aluminium etc., along with the other types of metals (copper etc.,) and rubber (from old bike frame wheels)... I'm sometimes surprised at the stuff in the metal skip. At least it isn't ending up in landfill.
The recycling site also has a skip for stuff being taken there and designated for "energy".
I agree they will use magnets, magnetic induction to remove the aluminum, air for the light stuff etc. Someone will pull out the cycle wheels and remove the tyres but they may miss some stuff.

Missed bits of glass in chipboard is a bigger problem than glass, rubber etc getting melted down or burnt (assuming it is burnt hot enough not to create pollution).

...《SNIP》

Missed bits of glass in chipboard is a bigger problem than glass, rubber etc getting melted down or burnt (assuming it is burnt hot enough not to create pollution).

Agreed... that's why I posted as to where glass goes at my recycling centre. I couldn't/can't understand why they'd allow wooden frames with glass in the wood recycling bin.

I agree they will use magnets, magnetic induction to remove the aluminum, air for the light stuff etc. Someone will pull out the cycle wheels and remove the tyres but they may miss some stuff.

Gas bottles are one of the biggest problems going into a steel furnace. It’s happened on a couple of occasions at my local steelworks. Several times the explosions have blown the sheeted walls out and you can see the difference in the older sheet colour when you drive past on the main road. Luckily nobody’s been killed or injured.
Regards,
Dave

We produce quite a large amount and give it all to a smoke house, they bring around a bag of goodies whenever they pick the bags up. Look up a smoke house I'm sure they will be delighted to take it off your hands.

Can Plywood sawdust be used in a Chicken coop? I have a fair amount of it to dispose of and my son is about to get some Hen's.

Back