Disposable Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to cut up some ply and MDF. I want to use a handsaw, but it doesn't need to figure much in my future, if you see what I mean. Would something like this be any use?

Smudger,

that looks very much like the saw I bought from B&Q a while ago - that's been perfectly serviceable.

To be honest I'm not likely to replace it until it falls apart, so I'd imagine it's ok for your requirement.

Dave

I am the same as Dave as I have the same saw too and am still using it. Got to admit it is getting a bit blunt now and could do with replacing but there again it is over a year old! I often use it at the timber yard to rough cut stock to fit into the car and it has been brilliant. :wink:

That is a good point.
I'll probably go to Screwfix, as I want some cheapo saw horses as well. They have a Stanley pair for £30. Look a bit lightweight, but should do me.

Have to be careful now I'm on a pension!

Smudger":cw7a334o said:
They have a Stanley pair for £30. Look a bit lightweight, but should do me.

Have to be careful now I'm on a pension!

Smudger: Netto have metal trestles on offer this Monday. I use them around the workshop a lot and find them much more durable and stable than my more expensive plastic ones from B&Q.

Play the game Smudge,

Now you are a pensioner your should be shuffling around down Aldi, Lidl & Netto blocking up the aisles and smelling of wee. :lol: :lol: :lol:

lurker":36hg2fdq said:
blocking up the aisles and smelling of wee. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If only that wasn't true

:-#

In Lidl they barge you out of the way to get to the 'specials' :D

lurker":fa6h2dhp said:
Play the game Smudge,

Now you are a pensioner your should be shuffling around down Aldi, Lidl & Netto blocking up the aisles and smelling of wee. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aaaaaaaaargh!!!

No wonder pensioners are so bloody stroppy!

I went to Screwfix (via the recycling centre, where I find that our marvelous local council hasn't emptied the containers since 1986 so the whole area is awash with wet newspaper and general rubbish, haunted by packs of wild dogs, feral cats and nenaderthals) to be told that they dan't have what I want in stock, but they can get it for me for tomorrow afternoon. I CAN ORDER IT ON THE WEBSITE IF I WANT IT TOMORROW!!! I don't have to drive an 8 mile round trip!

So I went to B&Q. Now to be fair, I despise B&Q and our local one has some of the most unpleasant staff you have ever met. They didn't have any predator saws, just Stanley and Irwin. Great. So I bought one, and then went to look for saw horses. Nope, none. I asked one of the people in orange pinnies (there were 2 nearby having a chat) and got told that they don't sell benches. Yes, but I wanted saw horses. Not what he showed me - a sort of transformers workmate that turns into a sack barrow. I asked how come they don't sell saw horses, given that they sell saws and wood. He looked at me slack jawed and said 'clever, isn't it?'.

As my wife said when I recounted this to her - why didn't you go to Melvyn's - the local ironmonger. Why didn't I?

Smudger":35i4ks10 said:
lurker":35i4ks10 said:
Play the game Smudge,

Aaaaaaaaargh!!!

No wonder pensioners are so bloody stroppy!

I went to Screwfix (via the recycling centre, where I find that our marvelous local council hasn't emptied the containers since 1986 so the whole area is awash with wet newspaper and general rubbish, haunted by packs of wild dogs, feral cats and nenaderthals) to be told that they dan't have what I want in stock, but they can get it for me for tomorrow afternoon. I CAN ORDER IT ON THE WEBSITE IF I WANT IT TOMORROW!!! I don't have to drive an 8 mile round trip!

So I went to B&Q. Now to be fair, I despise B&Q and our local one has some of the most unpleasant staff you have ever met. They didn't have any predator saws, just Stanley and Irwin. Great. So I bought one, and then went to look for saw horses. Nope, none. I asked one of the people in orange pinnies (there were 2 nearby having a chat) and got told that they don't sell benches. Yes, but I wanted saw horses. Not what he showed me - a sort of transformers workmate that turns into a sack barrow. I asked how come they don't sell saw horses, given that they sell saws and wood. He looked at me slack jawed and said 'clever, isn't it?'.

As my wife said when I recounted this to her - why didn't you go to Melvyn's - the local ironmonger. Why didn't I?

Want me to send you some mate,we have tons here...shipping will kill you tho :D

Smudger":3dyhzbhs said:
Or better still, why didn't you just make a pair? :shock: Four legs, top rail and two bits of ply/2 x 1/whatever as braces...... I've even knocked them up from a scaffold board in the past when we've had nothing else suitable.

Go for an Irwin orange and black handle throw away used to be called Jack saws. I have used them for years only around £6 and last well.

Also dont buy the plastic saw horses they are rubbish as said, I have 4 of the Draper metal folding ones and they are about £25 a pair.l

I know the thread has moved on a bit, but wanted to say I use these S & J predator saws all the time, professionally, and they are ok. Have done the Bahco thing, the stanley jetcut and so on, and the predator seems to last longer. All these saws will cut well, but the S & J just seems to pull into the cut better, if you know what I mean. They do an X version, which is IMHO the best of the lot, although the laminate saw is good too, and not just for laminate!

Neil

Back