Disposable Planer/Thickneser Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried either resharpening disposable planer blades, or putting a back bevel on them to reduce tear out? If so, how did you get on?

Thanks

we used to turn the felder ones into marking knives, and they made excellent scrapers

but thats about it

adidat

adidat":khr8nm23 said:
we used to turn the felder ones into marking knives, and they made excellent scrapers

but thats about it

adidat

It's the Felder ones I'm talking about, according to the latest price list it's getting on for £20 for a knife change!

Most saw doctors should be able to sharpen them at least once. You might have to lower the outfeed table with the fine adjuster depending on how much they take off when sharpening.

If you put a back bevel on you run the risk of creating chip bruising.

custard":15ff2r7k said:
It's the Felder ones I'm talking about, according to the latest price list it's getting on for £20 for a knife change!

I daresay I have a different point of view about this to you, because I think if I could do a straightforward knife change in a planer for £20 I would be well happy. In fact, hearing that it's only £20, I must look into getting a Felder planer. Which model do you have?

Lord Kitchener":1plsv7sg said:
custard":1plsv7sg said:

I daresay I have a different point of view about this to you, because I think if I could do a straightforward knife change in a planer for £20 I would be well happy. In fact, hearing that it's only £20, I must look into getting a Felder planer. Which model do you have?

Plus for the £20, you get two sides - it compares very well with the cost of regrinding/postage of single sided blades and the unbearable faff of refitting them.

However, last time I looked at a Felder AD741, I think it was about £7,000 with all the bells and whistles - I concluded I could put up with the blade changes ... Lovely machine though

Cheers

Lord Kitchener":67s76hj3 said:

An AD410 will set you back over £55 for a knife change on a 4 head or over £41 for a 3 head.

ProShop":3ptlhm3k said:
Lord Kitchener":3ptlhm3k said:

An AD410 will set you back over £55 for a knife change on a 4 head or over £41 for a 3 head.

One would expect a 410mm planer to be more expensive in the knife department. Upside of that is that you don't need to change them so often, if soem care is taken is spreading the workload.

Lord Kitchener":37nr1qaq said:
ProShop":37nr1qaq said:
Lord Kitchener":37nr1qaq said:

One would expect a 410mm planer to be more expensive in the knife department. Upside of that is that you don't need to change them so often, if soem care is taken is spreading the workload.

:D :D :D :D

Lord Kitchener":2mnjngqd said:
custard":2mnjngqd said:

Felder CF741, four knife 410mm Felder planer system.

The regular HSS knives cost £51.12 including VAT for six (each has two edges), so a knife change costs £17.04.

The super duper M42 knives would mean £34.48 to change knives.

custard":21j54rba said:
Lord Kitchener":21j54rba said:
custard":21j54rba said:

The regular HSS knives cost £51.12 including VAT for six (each has two edges), so a knife change costs £17.04.

So it is low cost to change blades on this machine, lucky you.

custard":3qhsxjl6 said:

Methinks you've got your sums wrong :D , as in my prev post to change a 410 in M42 comes out at over £57 + VAT = over £68. + delivery

newt":3qhsxjl6 said:

Not so Lucky :D , especially when you have to change them after a weeks use.............................regularly

I had the same problem with my thicknesser, the rate at which I was getting through them decided me to convert the cutter block to take re-sharpenable knives. If that is possible on your machine custard I would suggest that you look into it.

Roy.

ProShop":n98o8xrc said:
custard":n98o8xrc said:

Methinks you've got your sums wrong :D , as in my prev post to change a 410 in M42 comes out at over £57 + VAT = over £68. + delivery

newt":n98o8xrc said:

Not so Lucky :D , especially when you have to change them after a weeks use.............................regularly

Is that due to the through put of wood or the type of wood, you are changing the blades every week :( if this is just for hobby work then, I amazed, if it is for payed work recover the cost from the customer.

newt":16q284x5 said:
ProShop":16q284x5 said:
custard":16q284x5 said:

newt":16q284x5 said:

Is that due to the through put of wood or the type of wood, you are changing the blades every week :( if this is just for hobby work then, I amazed, if it is for payed work recover the cost from the customer.

Yes, it's a bit vague to say you have to change them after a week, but with no idea of what you are putting through them. So the issue is, as I see it, how much longer will resharpenable blades last? Once we know that, and the cost of the resharpening, then all we need to know is how much longer is it going to take to change the resharpenable blades over the disposable ones?

As Felder are professional machines, it's my guess that in a pro workshop the disposable blades are more economicalyl viable.

Having suffered on that very subject Roger I made the new cutter block for my thicknesser with flats that take magnets. Whip the old knives out, drop the new ones in then place the magnets in the slots.
This pulls the knives into their correct height, then retighten the clamps.

Roy.

Agree with Digit, your only faffing if you don't have the right gear. The time difference is so small it's hardly noticeable.

Agreed, my set up does not use setting up jigs as such, just 2 grooves cut into the cutter block at right angle to the knife and to the depth that sets the knife. Using rare earth magnets they pull the knife into position automatically then the clamps are tightened.
I found the jigs with the DeWalt very fiddly, hence my own version.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back