Display cabinet plans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailor

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening everyone,

SWMBO wants a matching pair of wall-hung display cabinets to show her collection of antique hand-bags.

I reckon they need to be approx 3ft high, by 2ft wide or so.

As they require glass fronts, I'm concerned about the weight of the glass on what will be quite shallow bases, (built of Maple with probably Maple ply backing).

Is there such a thing as 'lightweight' glass for situations like this? Or alternatively, anyone ideas for hanging the doors without having overly large hinges?

Many thanks,

Colin

You could use picture glass that is 2.0mm thick or just 3mm float. I have a cabinetfor some of my model figures, the doors are 600x900 and made from 58x22 finish size pine hung on a pair of 50mm brass butts. Silicone the glass in all round for added strength. I used 3mm glass.

The doors also have a groove all round the inner face to take a rubber seal which keeps the dust out and there is a 450mm flurescent tube in the top of each cabinet.

Or you could have frameless doors like Thisor This

Jason

Jason, thanks.

Your's is the style I was thinking of. The frameless types to my mind, appear more likely to be 'store-bought' than self made. For some reason, I had been thinking that picture glass could only be used in a permanent fixed frame, I don't know why!

I like the idea of the dust seals - is your cabinet from a readily available plan? because if so, that would really help me.

Thanks,

Colin

Colin,

I don't think you will have to worry about the weight. I was worried about the door being too heavy on this cabinet I built. The door is approximately 22" wide x 6'6" tall. I used 1/8" glass.

Kurt

cabinet-225x600.jpg

More Pictures
http://www.loup-garou.net/rodcabinet.html

Hi Jason,

Could I ask where you got the frameless hinges for the glass doors?

Cheers

SimonA

Simon

The small corner cabinet has hinges that fix to the glass with nylon grub screws and can be bought from Woodfit

The oak unit has hinges that require a 25mm hole to be drilled in the glass and can be bought from Woodfit or Isaac Lord

Jason

Back