Disk Storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Video is enormous. A single project can be up to 200GB for me and I only do short videos for work and an occasional video for home...
This, exactly. A 10 minute-ish YouTube video shot in 4K might only deliver a ~2Gb final file, but each camera can easily produce ~35Gb/day, and I usually run 3 cameras, so it’s not unusual for each video to have ~200Gb of associated files; I do 2 of these a week, so it soon adds up.

I've an encrypted backup disk from 2009 with personal files, including an unknown quantity of bitcoin on it. Bitcoin was rather easily mined back then and I was working as a sysadmin with pretty powerful servers sitting idle. I lost interest because bitcoin wasn't worth anything and I couldn't use them, so I moved on, moved countries, stored the disk in my mums attic and forgot about it.
Unfortunately I've long forgotten the key and I'm just keeping it in case I remember it in a dream or something... Lol

Unfortunately I've long forgotten the key and I'm just keeping it in case I remember it in a dream or something... Lol
WoW!! An unknown quantity? sounds like a few? they aren't worth much now....... about £20K?? lol. Years ago, my son gave me 0.4 of a bitcoin for my birthday. I had no idea what it was. He only paid a few pounds for it. I thought he was crazy at the time lol
What you never had, you will never miss, but it's amazing what you can pull from the back of your brain sometimes if you keep trying.....

Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone got a link to an idiots guide to back-up storage? I have been working from home for 9 months or so and have most of the files from this time on my PC rather than work servers for accessibility issues. I have got a back-up of the files on a portable hard drive, but what I guess I really need is a piece of software that will copy over only those files that haven't changed rather than having multiple copies of everything - does such a thing exist? The Synology NAS mentioned above is a couple of hundred quid at the starter end of the scale, which I didn't really want to pay for work files, but might have to if nothing better can be suggested! TIA.
I am surprised that your company has allowed this situation to arise. I would try to put the responsibility back on them. Can you transfer/copy your files to your work server over the internet as a one off operation and then do it say every week. If this is not possible can you copy your files to dvd or pen drives and send it to them through the post. Even if they do nothing with them at least you have secured an off site copy of your files, transferred the responsibility to them and demonstrated your concern to them. All useful things if something goes wrong.

For work related files then a couple of hundred pounds is peanuts but you should not need to pay it. I think you need some proper advice from a company that works in this field.

Back