dishwash thoughts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
I`m thinking about placing a dishwasher the other side off our kitchen to the sink.

This means taking a drain pipe, and water feed across the floor.

My question is this, as the drain pipe is pumped (not gravity drain) from the unit, is it ok to extend the drain pipe and route it under a floor (about 2 meters) to the sink rose????????

cheers

steve

Steve,

I'm not a plumber but I don't think you should do that. Although pumped flow, food debris will probably still accumulate in the invert section under the floor. Unless you provide an easy means to unblock it, you could one day have a rather unpleasant problem to deal with.

Plumbers - tell me I'm talking b******ks! :)

Ike

I was thinking about running the pipe (flexible) in some conduate, so that in such an event I can pull the pipe out and unblock it.......

KU,
It would probobly work as its pumped out from the dishwasher, most dishwashers however show a diagram that the pipe has to be a minimum of 1/2 way up the height of the machine, most machines overcome this with the drain being attached to the sink trap this then gives it the height, as long as you remember to put it into a trap and not straight down a drain, if you forget the trap you will get a smell coming through your machine door, i smelt this a couple of times during my kitchen fitting days
hope that helps
Ian

KU

Even though waste is pumped out I think you may have residual water left in the pipe wich is likely to start to smell a bit after a while. Often one sees residue build up in washing machine waste pipes and cleaning them out is an onerous task due to the stench.

Cheers

Tony

tony:

I was thinking about making the pipe removeable (inside some conduate), so I could clean it/replace it every couple of years or so.....

maybe a cup full of bleach every year or so would clean the pipe out a bit?

I could include some kind of access T junction (capped off)

Back