discovery H+L...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
i fear that H+L is going terribly downhill,
now dont presume that this is correct BUT i think they have stopped Worskshop Wednesday,
if you look tonight it is dominated by "Des Res" and other programs of its sort.

Just thought id share it with you! :p

Tom

TK
Agreed, totally. H+L is now a haven for Fishing and Look-At-How-Much-I-Have-Sold-My-Grotty-London-Squat-For programs. :shock:

Maybe we should all start our own Internet-Based Workshop-Video site. I'm pretty sure some of the folks on this forum could do an excellent job of presenting, eg.Alf, Chris (waterhead), et al. Far more informative and entertaining, I'm sure. I mean, just look at those Boyz 'n' The Wood muppets. I dont know a single person who wants woodwork to be made to look 'cool'. And to be done as such by some goon who's biggest claim to fame is winning Big Brother!! :roll:
Rant over :evil:
Sorry, got a bit carried away there...

Ta muchly

Gary

haha Gary LMAO !!!
its so true about it though, no more Great british woodshops, no more Workshop wednesdays etc (although not confirmed i must say!).
Hmm...."Internet-Based Workshop-Video site" now that would be cool! maybe its worth a thought :p

anywayz i'm sure once H+L realise that there is no-one interested in it im sure they will bring some back!

Tom

i got shut of my ntl pay us lots of money each month for repeats and got a set top box now it doesnt cost me to watch the repeats :D

frank

Definitely no more Workshop Wednesday.
As always they send a standard reply to emails complaining about anything.
I finally got this after 3 attempts with each other reply just being a standard one.

Thank you for contacting Discovery.

We are very sorry to hear that you have been disappointed by a change in our schedule. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Unfortunately, we have no plans to repeat 'Workshop Wednesday' in the immediate future. However, we will forward your request to the appropriate department for their consideration.

Kind Regards,

Discovery Networks Europe Viewer Relations Team
E000963

As many as possible should complain about the constant fishing and old property repeats & ask for WOODWORKING

The last workshop Wednesday thy had was the 1st part of a 2 part project on NYW. Last week they had the workshop John built in the afternoons. This is a 6 part series but they only showed 5 parts to fit in with their scheduling. I can't understand why he kitted his workshop out with money no object only to show the next series making things out of MDF.

I have to agree that H&L is definitely going down hill from a woodies perspective. What I can't understand is why they persist in showing 4-5hrs of fishing on a Sat & Sun morning. Do the fish only come out in the afternoon? From what I remember of my fishing days (when I was a lad, so going back a bit mind), morning was the best time to catch them.

Tom: The idea of internet hosted videos is a great one.

Charley: you have the forum, momentum, users, and site/bandwidth to make this a possibility. I would say it merits serious consideration - even if on a pay per download basis. I currently tape lots of the woodworking programs on H&L anyway, and to be honest would find it far more convenient if I could store/index/play them on a PC. I would happily pay a (reasonable) price for such a service, either on a subscription basis or per download, provided the quality was reasonable.

I wouldn't mind if it was possible to buy the NYW videos. Then you could pick the ones you want from the new series. They are midway making the 2005 series at the moment. NYW is the longest running program on H&L & used to be at prime time each day (8pm). It's been on since it was called TLC.

A Internet based programme is certainly technically possible but I wonder how many potential viewers have broadband and whether sufficient sponsorship or advertising could be obtained to pay for it.

The basic cost of making the program would be the same irrespective of the method of transmission.

Maybe a feasibility study is called for ......

Well although it's a good idea there are some issues that will get in the way not to mention that I have just been downgraded from broadband myself but it is something I've thought about in the past and would give it a try I had the right sponsorship...

Damn that Discovery channel!
How about another campaign of emails to bring back woody shows? Last time we moaned Norm appeared a couple of nights later. Lets give it a go everyone! :twisted:
a peeved Philly :evil:

how about some kind of woodworking movie swap-shop.

With the rising availablilty of DVDs and recorders prehaps we could sort out some kind of sawp-shop mechanism.

I have almost all of the NYW episodes on VHS, and most on DVD, I have the facilities to convert between the 2 formats and would be more than willing to.

£1.50 for a dvd and £1 postage .......... for 5 episodes of NYW ??????

of course this would be on a "borrow" contract to forego any copyright issues (I recorded them off the telly... sir.......)

perhaps charley could even set up a UKW library of woodworking media????????

PLEASE NOT:
all these episodes where recorded off of the telly, I am not planning on SELLING them, just lending them to people (I want them back!!!)

Hi Kityuser

I would assume that Brimarc are selling the NYW videos along with the plans in the same way that they do it in the States.

If that's the case , then "borrowing" videos would be out of the question. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

I emailed H&L a couple of days ago and got the same standard reply. IIRC Norm reappeared on our screens following a number of emails from members of the forum. I'm sure if a significant number of people who use the forum, including "lurkers", sent emails then H&L would reconsider.
John.

Hi John

Big John":1pcqh55k said:
IIRC Norm reappeared on our screens following a number of emails from members of the forum.

No, when that happened it was a false alarm. NYW didn't appear one Monday because of a bank holiday. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

I`m not sure that if you have recorded something off of the telly and you want to lend it to somebody that there are any copyright issues there....

If they did`nt want you to record it off of the telly they would include a macro-vision signal just like on the sky box office channels.

if people don`t like the word lending, then I take it its not illegal to GIVE somebody YOUR only copy i.e. its legally theres now......... then they GIVE it back to you (legally mine again)?????

Latest posts

Back