Disc sanding machine : changing and re-using discs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcott

Established Member
Reaction score
My 250 mm bench-top disc sander uses self-adhesive discs.

I would like to have the ability to use different grits for different jobs but it’s obviously impossible to re-use the self-adhesive discs once they have been pulled off the metal disc.

I can get velour backed discs but I need a method of holding them to the metal disc.

I am thinking of using strips of self adhesive velcro. Has anyone tried this method, if so, has it worked? Did you cover the whole of the metal surface or space out the strips?

Can anyone suggest any other ideas to consider?

Yes use velcro self adhesive and cover the whole disc
axminster did use to sell a 12 inch disc of material once
but i have used 3 inch wide strips to cover a disc to fit on a wood lathe before

Ian

Do report back.
I spent an hour yesterday cleaning layers of grot off the disc on mine to get back to bare metal and was wondering just the same.

Chunko'.

Me too. I'm also concerned though the the edges might get rounded a little as the disc will be cushioned by the velcro. Please report back how you get on.

Axminster advised me to use white spirit to remove the adhesive from the disc.
if your work allows it try the method (I think it's on the Record Power web site) of attaching two different grades of abrasive to the disc, this will probably work best with adhesive backed discs. Not tried it myself as I'm the proud owner of two disc sanders.

Brian

At long last, I am now able to report back on my hook and loop set-up for my 250 mm disc sander.

I first removed the existing self adhesive disc and then set about removing all remnants of the adhesive from the metal disc. I did this using a combination of a scraper, fine steel wool, rags and some white spirit. It was not a quick job. I finished off with a wipe over with meths.

I bought 1 metre of 2 inch wide, self adhesive, ‘hook’ tape of the ‘hook and loop’ type from ebay. Having worked out how I was going to arrange the pieces so as to cover most of the metal disc, making sure there would be some tape all round the edges, I carefully pressed all pieces into place.

The first company I ordered my velcro backed discs from didn’t tell me they were not in stock. When I phoned to ask why they had not been delivered, they told me they would not be in stock for at least another 3 weeks. I cancelled that order.

The second company I ordered from stated they would be shipped within 72 hours. They eventually shipped them 7 days later.

They arrived today and I am pleased to be able to report the system is working well. The discs adhere well to the hooks but can easily be peeled off and replaced by another disc.

No more laborious cleaning of the metal backing disc. No more being limited to only one grit. I rate it a definite success.

John

Hi all, an easy way to remove the old disc is to heat it up with a hot air gun. It normally comes off in one go.
Mark

I'm in the other camp of having a velcro 12" disc. problem being local stockist only have adhesive consumables.
Does not stop work though as I just stick a new disc onto a worn out velcro disc.
Was sceptical about useability with increased thickness but they work fine and as the item cost is significantly lower can't see me being in a hurry to get new velcro stock whilst I have enough worn discs to use as base fixing.

Latest posts

Back