Disc Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamboat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am looking for a 300mm bench top disk sander. I have looked at making one myself but the cost of a 1ph motor is around £75 and then I would need to get the disk etc. All in all it would probably work out at the same cost as buying one already made up
I have looked at the Record power DS300 the Axminster DS12DL and Axminster DS12DLMB.
The Axminster versions are much more expensive but don’t seem to offer much more over the DS300.
Can anyone suggest which one to go for or an alternative?
Also has anyone made up a router bit sharpening jig for the disk sander

Thanks for your help

I have got the Record version, a great piece of kit, I was a bit scared of it at first, that cast iron disc whizzing around has a lot of kinetic energy, but fantastic for tidying up wood, I use mostly 120 grade discs. the brake is also a surprisingly useful facility. The dust collection with a Record vacuum thingy is amazing. The axminster ones seem to be fabricated from sheet steel with aluminium tables.
I also got good deal on mine locally from these guys. http://www.toolite.org.uk/record-disc-s ... 11521.html
Cue gratuitious plug. Toolite in Mitcheldean, a proper tool shop, like a maze of boxes and treasures and they usually cover the whole range from cheapies to Festool. And impressively the Saturday youth on the desk knows where everything is.
Sharpening router bits on a disc sander? sounds a bit dodgy

You can change the discs on the sander, they are trashed by the time they are removed though.
To fit new ones I score across the middle of the backing, drop the disc ito the gap between the table and disc, they peel off half the backing, stick half the disc on, turn the disc 180 degrees and repeat. Trying to do the whole thing in one go is a laugh.

Back