Disc sander runout

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HamsterJam

Let’s take it apart to see what’s inside….
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get some Axminster vouchers for my birthday and have used them to buy an AC200BDS disc/belt sander combo from Axminster.
I have just unboxed it and note the disc has approx 3mm of runout on it which is disappointing. I don’t think this is acceptable but thought I‘d double check what you guys think before I ask for a replacement.
I also noted the gap between the table and belt isn’t straight either.

Update: I emailed Axminster Tuesday evening and they came straight back yesterday (Weds) offering to send me a replacement disc and a pack of mixed grit self adhesive sanding discs after checking I am happy to fit it.
I agreed and they were delivered this morning.
Not yet fitted as too busy today but what great customer service.

I don't know the machine but before you fit the new disc I would check the runout having removed the old one. I presume that there is a shaft or something behind it. Hopefully it is the old disc itself that is incorrect.

I don't know the machine but before you fit the new disc I would check the runout having removed the old one. I presume that there is a shaft or something behind it. Hopefully it is the old disc itself that is incorrect.

Looking at the replacement disc it is keyed directly onto the motor shaft.
The guy at Axminster was pretty sure it will be the disc that’s out rather than the shaft (makes me wonder if they have seen this before). I guess I’ll find out when I fit it.

Looking at the replacement disc it is keyed directly onto the motor shaft.
The guy at Axminster was pretty sure it will be the disc that’s out rather than the shaft (makes me wonder if they have seen this before). I guess I’ll find out when I fit it.

Let us know how it goes.

Let us know how it goes.

Replaced the plate on the disc side of the sander today which has fixed the runout. It is less than 0.5mm now.
Placing a straight edge across the original plate shows it is convex as well as warped. The new one is as good as dead flat.
Unfortunately I damaged the screw head getting it out, probably not helped by me realising too late that a clockwise shaft needs a left hand thread meaning I accidentally tightened it 🙄.
Have asked Axminster if they can send me a new screw.

Back