Disc Sander - Rebuild

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawtooth-9

Established Member
Reaction score
30 or 40 years ago, you could not find a decent disc sander.
So, I built one.
It's been working beautifully ever since - but it's time for a little TLC.
If there is any interest, I will post progress.

Yes, always interest in things like this. Only lasted 30 years? I hope you make a better job this time 😁

Dismantled and started the clean up for re-painting
It's really interesting to look back at what you did all those years ago !
Quite a good job really .
It has a 12 inch disc, which I machined from 1/4 inch plate.
The motor is only 3/4 Hp , but it has never been overloaded.
The table can tilt down, and with the mitre gauge - you can produce compound angles.
The main table can adjusted close to the disc.
I might make a dust collection shield - although this would restrict the size of the work I can do
My welding was a bit rough, but it has survived !
When I built this I made sure that the disc fit to the motor was quite "tight" - and I should have made provision for the removal of the disc.
For this re-vamp, it is not necessary to remove the disc, but it has made cleaning up the motor a bit more difficult.
No 1.jpg
No 2.jpg
No 3.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a really sturdy disk sander. Great design. Did you originally fabricate all the parts? Why not make a removable dust shield?

That looks like a really sturdy disk sander. Great design. Did you originally fabricate all the parts? Why not make a removable dust shield?
It certainly is solid.
Yes, I fabricated all the parts.
I will make a removable dust shield. That will be part of sorting out a central ducted dust system for the workshop

what about using sanding disks with holes and corresponding holes in the motor disk so you can suck the dust from the rear with a shroud round the motor disk. A lot of hassle, and not sure how well it would work?

what about using sanding disks with holes and corresponding holes in the motor disk so you can suck the dust from the rear with a shroud round the motor disk. A lot of hassle, and not sure how well it would work?
Good idea, but 12 inch sanding discs with holes are not available here.
This would require setting the metal disc in the mill and indexing the holes with dimensions to match the sanding discs - again, done carefully to maintain balance. The hardest bit would be attaching the velcro backed disc to ensure the holes aligned well. It's hard enough to get the sanding discs centred !
The sander is on a trolley, which I wheel outside when sanding - the biggest problem is the cleaning up afterwards - which is why I will sort something out.
As to your comment about only lasting 30 years - It's still good for another 30 years ! Considering I am half way between a "relic" and a "fossil" simple maths suggests it just might outlive me !

Today, I etch primed all the "bits"
Decided to mix some paint from "leftovers" - again, Hardnose two pack urethane. I used some leftovers fro the Colchester paint and the Wadkin RS6 paint - with a dash of white. An interesting complex colour.

As to your comment about only lasting 30 years - It's still good for another 30 years ! Considering I am half way between a "relic" and a "fossil" simple maths suggests it just might outlive me
It looks sturdy enough to last a lot longer. 😁

Today, I have been painting.
It's really interesting to look back at what you have done all those years ago.
Some of it is good and some not so good !
My milling of the slides for the table is REALLY bad - but it works OK
I used the wrong tool, and I can see where the feed was SO bad.
If I would do another, I would use a horizontal cutter. But I had no experience, at the time, of using a Bridgeport correctly.
Even so, this has been a great machine - and will continue to be.
After all these years , I could build a really awesome disc sander.
I really wish I could still weld - to fabricate these machines- but alas ! the pacemaker has "stuffed" me

Finished the painting and assembly today.
I really thought I would have to " corrective surgery " but all that was needed was to clean up, lubricate and paint.
The table is still flat - bearings are fine, after all these years.
It does prove that if you build something to last - it probably will.
As to the design, I seem to recall I found it " lurking " in the bottom of a bottle of Bushmills !
Attached are a few pics in case anyone is interested

it looks fantastic. What would you change now if you started from scratch.

it looks fantastic. What would you change now if you started from scratch.
Probably slightly bigger motor
Better machining of the table guides
Add dust collection - will do this when I get some time free
Possibly increase the table tilt - although I have never needed this
Make provision for easy removal of the metal disc from motor shaft.

It would be fun to make a larger version with a 2 foot disc !

Back