Disc Sander problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steliz

Camberwell Carrot
Reaction score
I have a Record Power BDS150 which I bought second hand last year but I've only used it a handful of times due to being busy with a recent house move.
It has worked normally previously but I tried it today and the motor is making a noise like something is braking it and the belt and disc are not turning. It may have got a slight knock in a recent workshop re-org.
I've read a few posts on machine starting issues and the most common culprit seems to be the capacitor. I have looked at the capacitor on my sander and it look fine - no physical signs of any problem. Could it be the bushes?

Thanks.

Steve.

Yes, with very little resistance.
Another point I meant to ask was that in the manual there are instructions to oil the belt cylinder bearings but I can't find where, anyone know?

if you turn it on and it hums, if you give the disc or belt a bot of a start to start it moving, will it then run? you will need to find a safe way of doing this?
the bearings are likely to be sealed

I did try to give the belt a helping shove but it didn't seem any more likely to get going.

I would suggest that the start capacator is not the issue. unfortunately, beyond this I am struggling.

Remove the belt and turn the motor by hand. If it turns freely, remove your fingers and and turn it on. If the motor hums but does not start turning its the capacitor.
Capacitors often fail internally with no outwards sign of damage.
If you have a multitester, some have (greek small m looks like a backwards y)mF settings which allow you to test it.
The value of the capacitor is printed on the side, with the little mF next to the number value.
replacements are usually very cheap.

Thanks sunnybob, that's exactly what I've done. Now to figure out where I can get a replacement locally which is easier said than done.

Electrical wholesalers. There will be at least one on the nearest industrial estate.
Take the old one with you and just ask for a replacement.
In my day it was City Electric, or Newey and Ayre.
take note that different makes have the same values but often have different mounting bolts, so check that.
If all else fails, ebay.

I have to resurrect this thread as the motor starting issue persists.

I got a replacement capacitor, fitted it and tested it. Same as before, the motor just started humming and no movement again. The motor will turn freely when switched off and there is a small amount of movement if I give it a push.
I assumed that the new capacitor must be faulty and took it back to the shop for a replacement, fitted it and I still have the same reults!
So, the capacitor is not the problem.

It functioned normally the last time I used it and now it's just click - hummmm. Any ideas?

youre now officially in the "strange bathwater" syndrome.

You did make sure you got the same mF value as the original? if you go back again ask them to prove to you that its the right capacity on a test meter.
If you can do so safely (nothing to catch or cut your fingers), its possible to spin the shaft with the power on and the motor should work. If it does, theres definitely something wrong with the capacitor circuit. if it still doesnt run then you have to suspect the motor windings themselves, which is unusual.
have you checked and tightened all the mains wire connections from the plug to the machine? have you tried another machine in that socket, to make sure its not the wall switch / socket?

sunnybob":3n7g89o0 said:
youre now officially in the "strange bathwater" syndrome.

You did make sure you got the same mF value as the original? if you go back again ask them to prove to you that its the right capacity on a test meter.
If you can do so safely (nothing to catch or cut your fingers), its possible to spin the shaft with the power on and the motor should work. If it does, theres definitely something wrong with the capacitor circuit. if it still doesnt run then you have to suspect the motor windings themselves, which is unusual.
have you checked and tightened all the mains wire connections from the plug to the machine? have you tried another machine in that socket, to make sure its not the wall switch / socket?

The new capacitor was exactly the same as the old one. The shop I bought it from is a little backstreet electrical retailer (only choice available) and when I took it back I asked them to test it but they said they didn't have a tester which I thought was a bit odd. The old fellow did seem somewhat disgruntled at my temerity. My multimeter doesn't have the cap test function but I can transfer a charge and see it dissipate.
I've tried to push start the belt numerous times and it will move on a few centimetres but that's all.
I haven't checked all of the connections, just the connector block that the capacitor uses. I've tried different sockets and also a different radial circuit.

Sorry but not much else I can suggest from afar. I think its time to use the 118 and find a motor rewind shop near you.

Back