disaster warning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I left my metal ruler on the saw table of my new pull mitre saw
The blade (60T CMT) didn't half go with a bang, when I pulled down the handle.
I am going out to the workshop this morning to see if there are any holes in my garage workshop roof, where the bullets ( missing teeth) flew :evil: :evil: :evil:

Good grief Devon! I am glad you are still alive. Tough luck about the new expensive blade - but as they always say, better that than a dead Devon!

Blimey Devon, that sounds scary, glad you're OK

A wee dram to steady the nerves afterwards :wink: :)

Just the telling of it scared me half to death!

Glad you've lost nothing but money.

Devon

I guess this is one of the situations where luck was deffinately on your side.
It just goes to show that, no matter how careful we think we are we sometimes make mistakes.

Glad your alright.

Now where did I put that square.

Waka

Devon,
Sorry to hear about your "near-miss". All I can say is this-Remember the golden rule! :lol: :lol:
(Sorry, I just can't stop myself!)
be safe,
Philly :D

:shock: Blimey m8 i am glad your ok . I bet the blade and your underwear are a bit of a mess . Just goes to show we can never be too careful .

What they said. :shock: I've come perilously close to doing that myself, and always wondered what would happen if I did. Now I know...

Cheers, Alf

Safely back across the border just in time it seems. :wink:

Bit like Kevin Ley not noticing he'd left a steel rule on his P/T. Lifted some wood on, to plane it and whoosh - this thing comes shooting out the back ofthe machine :shock:

Adam

Hi Devon,

Excuse my French but your so bloody lucky. A few years back i saw a picture in one American magazines of a nail punch which had ended up piercing a block wall after someone had left it on their table saw.

I wonder how many of us would admit to leaving something on our table saw without thinking?, and how many of us go to the table saw and turn it on without checking for objects that might be propelled in our direction by the blade?

While on the subject of safety how many of us can say that every single time we go to the table saw, router table, or planer we use push sticks when they are needed?

How many of us forget to put a mask when needed?

Worst of all how many of us wear eye protection all of the time? You know how it goes, your at the machine, you turn it on and start running your piece of wood through when you remember that your safety glasses are down the other end of the workshop, but you think oh it won't hurt just this one time! But ONE is the operative word, because with your sight you only get one chance. Lose a leg, arm, or hand and it is still possible to do your woddworking, but lose your sight and thats it, you will never make another project again.

I know it sounds like i am preaching and i am sure that there are many of you who are experts on safety (and woodworking) compared to me. But there are times when i am guilty of all the above, and it was only after reading Devon's post that i realised how careless i can sometimes be.

Keep safe

Mike.C

Mike.C":2ybk9dsl said:
Hi Devon,
Worst of all how many of us wear eye protection all of the time? You know how it goes, your at the machine, you turn it on and start running your piece of wood through when you remember that your safety glasses are down the other end of the workshop, but you think oh it won't hurt just this one time! But ONE is the operative word, because with your sight you only get one chance. Lose a leg, arm, or hand and it is still possible to do your woddworking, but lose your sight and thats it, you will never make another project again.
Mike.C

What I did, was to buy so many pairs of safety glasses, and hang them in so many places near the tablesaw, that no matter how many pairs I'd put on, and then taken off and left on the workbench their would ALWAYS be a pair within reach. Seems to work for me, and it's the only way as I seem to make a cut, and then put the workpiece on the workbench, remove me glasses, and not put them back on the hooks. This required an investment in about 8 pairs of glasses! They are only cheap though!

adam

I've got a very confortable pair of protective glasses so I wear them all the time :D
It only gets unconfortable when I have the ear protection and dust mask on too. You should see me with all these gear on, Darth Vader looks like a lovely little girl in comparison.

I've bored everyone with this before, but I've found a combined muffs and visor set up to be really effective. It makes for one less thing to remember to put on and doesn't mist up when you wear a dust mask. I wouldn't be without mine.

Cheers, Alf

CYC,

I surely can:
90498.jpg

I see Axminster also do a version with safety goggles (look like glasses to me, but wadda I know?):
optimuff.jpg

I'm no oil painting, but I reckon matters won't be improved by stuff flying at my face, so I'll stick with the visor. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

:shock: Yeah - what they all said :shock:
Ouchey! Very glad you're OK.

Alf - where does that visor one come from?
Thanks

Back