Disaster Record CL-4 ceased HELP Advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammo

Established Member
Reaction score
Quite new to wood turning, and been making plenty of mess in my shed recently, practice, practice - today having a go at my first box, when the lath stopped - it's a CL4.
Well after a bit of investigation it seems that the bearing has ceased - luckily enough I have a spare, and advice on how to remove it now it's ceased...

bit fed up especially at the moment I am working shifts (4 on 4 off) and really want to make the most of the 4 off which started Sunday

Help and advice please.

Thanks in advance

Sammo,
do you have a copy of the manual ?If not , I can email you a copy. This has an exploded view of the headstock.
Frank.

Down loaded a manual from Record. So it seems that if i can release the bronze bearing - by using the lock nut on the out side of the lathe head with luck I could be ok. Going to get some proper oil this morning; I do have a spare bronze bearing so may replace it. Will wait and see.

Once I plucked up the courage and got out a large mallet everything went ok - used the spare bronze bearing that I had with the lathe, but there was some scoring around the taper; should be fine; everything is back as it should be - now running the lathe for a few hours at a slow speed and adding plenty of oil. The oil holes on the original bearing were totally blocked and guess it was oil starvation that lead to the ceased bearing; so should be able to put this back if the one i have put in leaks oil --- will have to wait and see .

Bit like talking to myself on this thread - but never mind; update the scoring on the spare bronze meant that oil leaked out the front quite a bit; so cleaned up the original, gave it a good polish on the inside and refitted; now the manual talks about adjusting the bearing; but not what the adjustment is trying to achieve; a quick phone call to RECORD confirmed that this is a bit of a dark art - tight enough so that oil doesn't leak out the front "a thin showing!" but not so tight that it doesn't spin freely - at the moment I can get one or the other... but the oil out the front isn't leaking as bad as before.

So will fiddle with it over the next few days see how I get on.

Ps anyone got a tip for moving the locking rings - it seems a bit heath Robinson to hit them with a metal rod!

Pps - the chap at RECORD was really helpful.

If record kept the same arrangement as the old Coronet then a "C" spanner is what you need to adjust the bearing. Release one ring tighten the other.

Hi not nit picking just wishing to learn, but are you sure ceased is the word you wanted to use, ceased to what? I seems a strange use of the word and am wondering if it is one of those now common street talk words. Possibly of course English is not your no1 language and what you meant to say was stopped, or ceased to work. I'm glad you have it sorted anyway.
Agggggggggghhh got it, ....siezed........ Sorry my mind usually sorts out these typos no offence intended I was trying hard to understand.

sammo":1v7dx9ia said:
Bit like talking to myself on this thread - but never mind; update the scoring on the spare bronze meant that oil leaked out the front quite a bit; so cleaned up the original, gave it a good polish on the inside and refitted; now the manual talks about adjusting the bearing; but not what the adjustment is trying to achieve; a quick phone call to RECORD confirmed that this is a bit of a dark art - tight enough so that oil doesn't leak out the front "a thin showing!" but not so tight that it doesn't spin freely - at the moment I can get one or the other... but the oil out the front isn't leaking as bad as before.

So will fiddle with it over the next few days see how I get on.

Ps anyone got a tip for moving the locking rings - it seems a bit heath Robinson to hit them with a metal rod!

Pps - the chap at RECORD was really helpful.
You will always get a bit of oil seeping from the bearings this is how I did it on a CL4 for years I always tightened till the spindle just stopped turning freely by hand then go back a bit till it spins freely then tighten up the locking nut and I always used thick gear oil just a few drops each time I used the lathe it sounds to me that you are using to much oil or to thin an oil I hope this is of help to you

Thanks Wildman Seized was the right spelling - my dyslexia strikes again, you know all the time I kept using that word I knew it was wrong :-( --- and I am going to Halfords to get a C spanner before playing with this any more.

And Woody - that's pretty much the chap at RECORD explained it - tighten until you can't turn by hand, then ease off. I am using the Record lathe oil, and suspect using far to much, again the advice from Record was little and often. I have got hold of a medicine syringe so can easily get a drop or to in once a week... or so

:)

Thanks all

Chris

Chris, I always used to put a couple of drops of oil in each session on the lathe, and sometimes a second time if I was using it for a few hours. I'm a bit worried about only a drop or two once a week, although of course that could be fine if you are only using it once a week ! Better more than less if you don't want it to seize again.

Using a soft metal rod to tap the rings round is perfectly fine, no harm using a c spanner if you can get one that fits, but perfectly okay to adjust with a soft rod and a few gentle taps.

Cheers, Paul

paulm":146i4fxk said:
Chris, I always used to put a couple of drops of oil in each session on the lathe, and sometimes a second time if I was using it for a few hours. I'm a bit worried about only a drop or two once a week, although of course that could be fine if you are only using it once a week ! Better more than less if you don't want it to seize again.

Using a soft metal rod to tap the rings round is perfectly fine, no harm using a c spanner if you can get one that fits, but perfectly okay to adjust with a soft rod and a few gentle taps.

Cheers, Paul
Yes I'm in full agreement I always put a few drops in each time I used it and depending on how long and how fast it was running I put a few more drops of oil and the soft metal bar will do it no harm mine never did and I had it for about 8 years of turning big logs most about 24" wide x 8" thick with the same bearings and it was running perfect when I sold it

Thanks for the advice guys - a little oil at the start of each session, should be sufficient adding some more if running for sometime

Back