disappointing purchases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Now, here at last, tell the world about that tool you bought that didn't quite do what you wanted/expected it to do. I don't mean stuff that turned out to be rubbish, I mean things that, from their description sounded like just what you wanted but which when you got them you found there was some unanticipated aspect which stopped it from being the answer to the problem it was meant to be-
A couple of examples
1 the extractor accessory, sold by Axminster, Screwfix etc, a hood on the end of three jointed metal arms, ideal for collecting dust from machines that are difficult to fit with conventional dust extraction. The problem? Not enough notches on the joints, with the result that moving one notch meant a large movement at the hood. Small adjustments? no chance
2 Angle measuring device from Nobex. Sounded like just the job, checking the angle between two walls. The problem? Graduations so small and close together that they could not be accurately read/repeated

Come on, share your stories of mild dissatisfaction

John

back when I first started I bought 2 pairs of Record Speed clamps... 18 & 30" capacity in the misguided belief that they were good build qualityand were bound to last for years...

Well.... I got the last bit right... but damn near every cussin session in that first project was directly attributable to these damn things backing off under load... what pineappled me off the most was that each one of em cost twice as much as any one of my sash clamps....which DO work.... They umm.... aren't Record products...

Recent rubbish purchase was this

se1set.jpg

.Just cant get it to bite the screws

My first sanding euipment about 40 years ago, a rubber disk and sanding sheet to put in the end of my wolf electric drill I still have got some of the sanding disks. More suitable for wood carving or shaping.

Sawdust Producer":xar6ku81 said:
Recent rubbish purchase was this

.Just cant get it to bite the screws

I wonder if I can change the title of this thread to "disappointing purchases which other people have found to be just fine" because I have a set of those extractors and get on really well with them. I find them ideal for getting out rusted and buggered-up pozidriv screws such as are found in 20 year old kitchens. I'd even been thinking of writing a favourable review for this forum

John

Believe it or not, my Lie -Neilsen skew block plane with removable side plate... I was seduced by the apparent multi purpose suitability, forgetting my own observation that the best tools are those optimised to do one job well without compromises.

Because of the skew and the 'floating side', the tip of the bed at the floating edge is just not stable enough for fine cuts - it flexes oooohhh soo slightly.

It's ok for rabbeting and shoulder adjusting at fairly crude levels, but not at the level I'd hoped for... Interestingly enough, (and after I'd bought it.... :roll: ), Garret Hack comments in his book that he's never really got on with his version...

I was seduced by the apparent multi purpose suitability,

now there's a queer thing.... personally I'd be lost without my L-N 140 aka "floozy". It was this plane that tought me how block planes should be.... this, after pissing away hard earned on both Record and Stanley block planes..

Granted it can take a little getting used to, and sharpening's a challenge... but when it's working well... staaaaaaaand back an let the dog see da wabbit.....

Nah, it's a piece of cack.... My 2 Veritas babes whup its ass for any 'non-rebate' block planing, and my shoulder planes whup it for any rebate planing. Jack of all, master of none....

Ahoy there, John. As ever the effects of the rum have kicked in, and what passes for me mind is as blank as an unshotted cannon. Yarrr. Damme if I haven't got a hold full of scurvvy tools; I just canna recall 'em at the minute. 'Cept the Maxi... :roll:

shady":2dh5svx7 said:
Believe it or not, my Lie -Neilsen skew block plane with removable side plate
Avast there, Shady, you ol' landlubber, I canna but speculate over me tot as to whether any scurvvy dogs have PM'd ya trying to buy it from ya for a handful of pieces of eight yet? :lol:

See you in Davy Jones' Locker, Alf

<This message was posted on International Talk Like a Pirate Day. I'm sorry. Really I am>

Unfortunately, my apparently 'several sheets in the wind' moderator ( :wink: ), it has revealed to me the true depths of my 'collectoritis'. I don't use it much, but it looks so darn pretty sitting there..... And of course, if a project isn't going well, I sit and polish its knobs for a while..... :D

Shady":2zva24jh said:
it has revealed to me the true depths of my 'collectoritis'. I don't use it much, but it looks so darn pretty sitting there..... And of course, if a project isn't going well, I sit and polish its knobs for a while..... :D
Well reef the main tops'l and call me Pugwash; what a terrible confession... :roll: :lol: Funny thing, I've always thought it was one of the less lovely-looking offerings from those Jonathans on the Maine. Each to their own 'mick* I s'pose.

Let go forr'ad, Alf

*hammock. A sea-going person's place of rest between watches

<Yep, it's still International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Who's idea was this anyway...? :roll: >

Careful now, seaman stains... :lol: :lol: :lol: Ahhh, the delights of Pugwash and his merry crew

OK... fess up.... who dumped Alf head first into the Grogg barrel...????????

C'mon.....SOMEBODY musta seen a wee pair o feet......kickin.... heard the guzzzlin....

Never forget, if you wanna spot a seagoing newbie, offer them a bucket on a rope, and ask them to fill it at the side... Ha ha ha : yes, I can stand the pull of 5 kilos of water at 10 mph......

Ahh, the joys of sailing.... Vomiting up wind is also a serious laff...

Too many disapointments to list i guess i am a sucker for what seams like a bargain and seduced by adverts. I have stopped purchases for the moment at the bank managers request (HID) :lol:

Latest posts

Back