Dining table and chairs question. Beware! Large Post.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
First off, apologies for the length of this post. Secondly, I've got a few questions regarding a dining table and chair 'set'.

The client wants me to produce a table top and two chairs to match the existing set. The idea is to replace the top with solid wood (rather than the current veneered surface) and to make it bigger.

Seeing as I'm making the items to match the existing ones I was wondering if you could advise me on the wood I should use. The pictures aren't terribly clear (apologies for that) and the colour maybe different on every monitor but I thought the colour was similar to Euro walnut. Too expensive for this project unfortunately so I'm looking for a substitute that would match the colour and grain pattern e.g Beech w/stain

Do you have any suggestions for this or what the wood actually is?

Let the slideshow commence;

DSC01019.jpg

DSC01030.jpg

DSC01033.jpg

What veneer do you think this is? Judging by the open grain pattern I'd suggest oak but a more professional opinion would be better.

DSC01036.jpg

DSC01029.jpg

This is probably the most accurately coloured photo.

Sorry again for the length of the post.
I appreciate any help,
BH

Forgive me if you think i'm wrong but replacing the table top and matching the chairs must be harder work then them selling what they have and you making all new .

have you given real thought to supporting the solid top so it stays flat and level for a really long time??

i would guess that you are going to have to join a number of panels together to make the width with the length you want, even if you involve inserts.

however i have to agree with jason might be better to make all new :?

at least that way you know for sure they all match. :roll:

paul :wink:

Hi

Now thats a fun job :-k

For a start the top is oak but it is on something like obechie ( I have the spelling wrong but I think it should sound about right ).

I think it has an oak vanish on it so I think it might be a little hard to get some thing to match, unless you do the same.

Is the top going to look the same as the old one too?

I hope this has been some help :roll: :wink:

I'd just say no.
You are being asked to copy something which is a rubbishy cheap import in the first place, and secondly would be extremely difficult to replicate even if it was worth the bother.
Tell your client to go out and buy something instead. You'd be doing both of you a favour - it's save him money and free you from a rubbish job. It'd also be more professional and better for your reputation perhaps.
Just a guess but I'd expect whatever you made, if you price it fairly, to cost many times what the client paid for the originals. Would he accept that?

cheers
Jacob

I know I've said this already, but it's good to have you back Jacob.

A voice of common sense: its going to end in tears if you take that job on.

If someone gave me those as a gift I might keep the chairs, but the only use for that table is firewood.

Tell them to spend their hard earned on some decent stuff and offer to smarten it up for them.

Got to agree with Jacob.
But if you really want the work(and the headaches) take it , the colour to my eye is a pigmented cherry(Morells).

Dom

Hi
Thanks for your opinions guys, it's rather unanimous don't you agree?

When i spoke to the person they were saying how much they liked it, that it was good quality and they couldn't bring theselves to part with it.

When i saw it, i thought hmm? the finish alone rang alarm bells

I think i'll have to have a polite word with them :oops:

Once again thanks for taking the time reply, it's usefull to hear what a proffesional opinion would be. essentially no tah, right :D

thanks
b_h

Latest posts

Back