Dining Chair Build Advice Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danst96

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like in the future (later this year) make my own dining room chairs. I would like to get a curved back rest and then potentially a curved profile on the seat part to make it comfy (if I dont go down an upholstered route). The one part i am unsure is how is the best/quickest/easiest way to get a curved back rest like the chair below?
1006650.jpg

likewise, what is the best way to achieve the profile for the seat bottom like the below?
Longview+Chair+Detail+2.jpg

Thanks!

Done by hand in a workshop you have, I suppose, two options, expensively, carve it out of the solid....or, build the shape out of laminated strips glued up on a former.
The seat could be saddled from strips of solid stock in the normal way, as would be done with a windsor seat but with suitable loose or lightly glued spacers that are removed at completion.

Strips of laminate always leave you with the edges, which are undesirable in 90% of situations.
As luck would have it a method of bending solid in the domestic oven by Matthias Wandel popped up on my YT the other week.

See if I can find it for you.
Here you go.. :D

I'll hazard a guess you dont have a panto router thingy, but cutting by hand shouldnt present any problems. I'd add the wedge all the same.

Ill give that a watcher later on after work, thanks Triton. I am wondering whether it will be biting off more than I can chew because ultimately i will need around 16-18 chairs so maybe i will just make one and see how that goes and see if it is manageable and how long each one will take.

Same channel has the designs for making the one he's using(+ his own design), and he sells them via his website. I've watched the vid and it all seems straight forward skill wise.

Back