Dinghy Plans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a set of simple plans to make a ply dinghy. Anyone know where I can get them for less than the 50 quid that I managed to turn up on my own?
All I want it for is sheltered water with an electric outboard so just the little jobs without sails would be ideal :lol:

Thanks all, in the meantime I'll keep on looking,

Mick

Mick, try www.selway-fisher.com I ordered a set of plans for a 14'6" boat that will take a little outboard. It is actually a canoe with a squared transom.

My plans cost £20 and are well laid out with good instructions.

Mick.

Boatbuilding usually means you knock up your own plans from a list of co-ordinates that are supplied.

I've got a stack of brown paper templates from 34 years ago knocking around somewhere, I keep saying I wont throw them out every time I come across them. I remember the last time I was looking in our local library for boat plans there was a book with around 20 designs and all the co-ordinates so I would investigate that possibility and even surf the web . Ubeaut have a boat building web forum they might help.

Mick, take a look at www.bateau.com/freeplans.php. The D4 dinghy plans are free. Or you can buy the full plans for $35US, which made life easier when I built one of these about six years ago. It's stitch-and-glue construction; having cut the ply to shape you wire the edges together then seal the seams with epoxy resin and glassfibre tape, then coat the whole thing with epoxy. It makes a very strong and stable dinghy, which can be built just for rowing and/or outboard, or there's a sailing version. Total cost was about £200, a large proportion of which was the epoxy resin.

Mine has been used and abused, and is very durable.

John

Back