DIN markings, is "DIN 874" same as "DIN 874/00"?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a straight edge recently which is suppose to be made to DIN 874/00.

There are fours grades in the standard:
874/00, the most accurate and the most expensive
874/0
874/1
874/2

The box has "DIN 874/00" on it as you would expect but the straight edge itself is only marked "DIN 874".

Does "DIN 874" mean the same as "DIN 874/00", ie does "DIN 874" on its own mean the highest grade?

The straight edge also doesn't have the manufacturer's name, only a logo.

din 874.jpg

I can't answer your question, but I checked the straight edges I bought from Dictum in Germany. The 100mm, 300mm, and 500mm straight edges are marked "DIN 874/00" on the straightedge.

Was the box factory sealed ? That might give some reassurance.
Otherwise, I'd query it with both the vendor AND the manufacturer just to be safe. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to query as if they only apply the generic mark to all grades to save money, then grind them to different standards as shown on the box, there's an avoidable opportunity for error.
If I saw DIN874 with no qualification, I'd take it to be the standard as a whole and by default, the lowest grade that meets that standard.

Was the box factory sealed ? That might give some reassurance.
Otherwise, I'd query it with both the vendor AND the manufacturer just to be safe. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to query as if they only apply the generic mark to all grades to save money, then grind them to different standards as shown on the box, there's an avoidable opportunity for error.
If I saw DIN874 with no qualification, I'd take it to be the standard as a whole and by default, the lowest grade that meets that standard.

Thanks, the box was sealed with bit of sellotape. I did think of contacting the manufacturer, even wrote the message but haven't sent it, thinking I probably won't get a reply.

It seems they only make that type in one grade:
https://www.helios-preisser.com/en/Products/Metrology/Squares---rules/Graduated-rules/"Knife edge rules, accuracy grade 00"

Even so, why say it's DIN874 when it's DIN874/00?

I'm not sure if this link will work:
https://online.helios-preisser.com/...46?groupId=([@IMID:Node:group10792798629538])
It's under:
Chapter 6 - Gauges, rules inspection equipment > Rule > Edges > Knife edge

I will send an email and see if they reply.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back