Digital Vernier calipers ~£3 on Amazon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
even cheaper from another seller on my page- best genet at £2.84 with free postage!

your seller looks quicker, so ordered a set. if they are junk, it is the cost of a pint wasted.

For that price, you'd expect a 6" plastic ruler and a small battery ….

… and that's pretty much what you'll get.

By all means have a punt, but don't expect a 'Vernier Caliper' to rival the £100 models.

Cheshirechappie":24tj0txv said:

By all means have a punt, but don't expect a 'Vernier Caliper' to rival the £100 models.
Somewhat agree. But still worth trying out, especially if anyone fancies trying out builds for depth gauges etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Cheshirechappie":1niyvr72 said:

Agreed, I think you'll get what you pay for....tat. I've just replaced mine from an old Chiwanese Ax one of dubious quality (the batteries seemed to last for all of 10 minutes) to a genuine, Japanese made Mitutoyo which had around £60 off when I bought it a while ago - Rob

We will see. You are probably right, but there are times when I am less concerned about accuracy to the nearest hundredth of a mm. For instance if my dad is struggling to read a tap measure to the nearest 1/32" of an inch, a clear digital display would be preferable, or when drilling on my lathe, to adapt to measure the tailstock projection.

Hopefully the batteries will last, that is the main concern.

I also think that you do get some genuine good products at low cost sometimes...
Same factory supplying brands etc.

I have a pair of the carbon fibre ones, they aren't carbon fibre, it glass reinforced nylon. They were cheap and only readt to 1/10th mm however they are great for all sorts of measurement jobs especially magnets, batteries or items easily scratched by metal calipers.

The Aldi one I had was pretty good for the money (I think it was about a fiver) but I wasn't sure how much I could trust it to be entirely accurate. Once the plastic started getting brittle (Probably from cutting oil exposure :oops:)and throwing out random numbers after a couple of years use I replaced it with a Moore and Wright MW110-15DFC digital caliper for about £50, So far it's been very good and I've got no complaints at all. I didn't feel like spending even more on a Mitutoyo because it's something I rarely use only when metalworking but I wanted something dependable too.

Two things I would build with these cheap calipers is a table-saw-blade-paralell-tester that fits in the track; and a sturdy digital depth guage for the router table... Just for fun.

transatlantic":1kca2l54 said:
The cheaper ones eat up batteries.

I bought the Tackwise one for £10. Very pleased

I have heard this many times, I have an aldi set, a lidl set and a one of the cheapies in the OP.

None of them eat batteries at all, I get at least 1 year + of regular usage between battery changes and I use poundshop batteries in them, you know the big cards that have about 30 or 40 batteries for a quid.

Rorschach":3c7775n4 said:
transatlantic":3c7775n4 said:

I have heard this many times, I have an aldi set, a lidl set and a one of the cheapies in the OP.

None of them eat batteries at all, I get at least 1 year + of regular usage between battery changes and I use poundshop batteries in them, you know the big cards that have about 30 or 40 batteries for a quid.

Maybe it's something that has been corrected then, but I certainly experienced it with my Lidl ones (bought about 8 years ago). I've not experienced with the Tacklife ones though, and they have a giant screen.

transatlantic":2c77u99k said:
Rorschach":2c77u99k said:
transatlantic":2c77u99k said:

Maybe it's something that has been corrected then, but I certainly experienced it with my Lidl ones (bought about 8 years ago). I've not experienced with the Tacklife ones though, and they have a giant screen.

My Lidl and Aldi ones are of similar age, more than 5 years old, less than 10. I had an Axminster set before them, they worked fine until the buttons broke.
I bought the "CF" ones about 3 years ago for measuring batteries and magnets mostly. I think I have only changed the batteries in those once.

Rorschach":11utwgyd said:
... I get at least 1 year + of regular usage between battery changes and I use poundshop batteries in them, you know the big cards that have about 30 or 40 batteries for a quid.
Ditto. I think mine is an Aldi one. I know for sure one battery lasted a good 18 months in it with what I'd class as light but regular use.

phil.p":11utwgyd said:
I've had three different cheap ones ........... and they've all eaten batteries. :lol:
With the cheap digital calipers, one tip I read (possibly here) was to not rely on the automatic shutoff of the display but to switch off manually.

If you've not bought a better one since might be worth trying this.

I have a couple I bought for under £3 each, including p and p.
They only show 10ths of a mm, but that's ample for my purposes most of the time.
I have a metal one in a box for when I need better resolution.

Back