Digital Photo Backups

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, getting weary with CD and DVD's being temperamental and unreliable; partly due to DVD and CD drives being similarly temperamental and unreliable.

I was in the habit of backing up my photos to disk each year. Each week I also backup to a NAS device too. The point being that I end up with photos on my laptop, the NAS, and disk (once the year has expired).

By contrast (to DVD's etc) my experience of solid-state drives has been good but comparably limited (when compared to my use of DVD's etc). So... anyone more extensive experience of solid-state? Whadya reckon? Any other thoughts?

As hard disk drives are so cheap, I'd tend to go with extra drives and make several backup copies. I agree with you re CDs and DVDs. Too flakey by far. Even the good makes.

Must admit, I back up my pics on two external hard drives and still also put them on to disc,
mind you I've never yet had a pic disc go funny on me.
Luck I suppose :roll:

John. B

I use hard disks and also an online service (SmugMug) that has never let me down. It's a paid service but for the value it provides me which includes unlimited storage, I find it cheap enough.

I use hard disks and Flickr. Flickr gives unlimited uploads (inc HD video although will only play 90s of them) plus lots of sharing options for not very much ($25/year). In fact I get the pro account free with BT's broadband offering (a little know but very nice extra).
Cheers
Gidon

Take a peek at www.lifeblob.com

I'm still testing it out. Its free and seems to be limitless. Not somewhere to sstore unique vesions of your precious images but maybe as a fall back.

standard magnetic hard disks, in whatever housing, will always be cheaper than a solid state disk, and pretty much limitless. Stick one in an external USB case and it is portable away from the rest of your gear.

In a similar vein, Wifey informed me tonight that her camera wasn't working - the SD card said that it needed to be formatted. It then transpired that she hadn't copied the photos off of it 'for quite a while' (18months :shock: ) Long story short, downloaded Photo Rescue and paid the license ($29) and a few minutes later had recovered over 600 photos. To cap it all Wifey only went to put the old card back in her camera :roll:

I'm sure that there are other programs that could do the same job and maybe cheaper but I would certainly recommend Photo Rescue to anyone in a similar situation.

Steve

Back