Digital Cordless Phones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone with some advice please.
I have just bought a quad set of BT digital phones. Having installed them around the house and plugged the base unit in and charged the batteries for 16 hours, as advised, I have to say the sound quality is a real disappointment.
There is a background hiss that I am sure should not be there in a digital phone. They are nowhere near as good as the corded ones they replaced.
Do any of you have any ideas, please, before I send them back?
Thanks.

SF

I have a similar experience of cordless phones. I've come to the conclusion that any DECT phone is pretty rubbish sound quality IMO. Don't think the BT branded phones are any better cos they come out of the same factories in China and apart from the styling probably use the same electronic components as cheapo brands. I gave up in disgust with calls sounding like a dusty old 78 record. I reverted to a corded phone.

cheers,

Ike

We use a Bang & Oluffsen cordless phone and the audio quality and coverage is superb...which supports the adage ' you get what you pay for'

Roger

Thanks guys.
Looks like they will be going back then!
Perhaps I will try another make. B&O maybe.
If that doesn't produce an acceptable result I will do what I did before -corded phones and one analogue cordless.
Cheers.

SF

Well I have to say I have had an ordinary BT Synergy digital phne for years and it is fine. No hiss at all. The original battery didn't last too long though, but the replacement has been in for 4 or 5 years, I should think.

I think maybe you have just been unlucky. Either that or I've been very lucky!

Cheers
Steve

Shadowfax":32uujhz1 said:
Anyone with some advice please.
I have just bought a quad set of BT digital phones. Having installed them around the house and plugged the base unit in and charged the batteries for 16 hours, as advised, I have to say the sound quality is a real disappointment.
There is a background hiss that I am sure should not be there in a digital phone. They are nowhere near as good as the corded ones they replaced.
Do any of you have any ideas, please, before I send them back?
Thanks.

SF
I did not buy BT but Phillips and found that if a non DECT was connected to the line as well there were problems and hiss. My problem was also that their was an alarm auto dialler attached as well.
Discounted and non DECT device and it work very well.
Hope this helps

Hi SF

I have a quad set of BT Synergy 3105's that I bought last year and the quality is excellent.

I always take one out to the workshop with me.

Cheers
Neil

Interesting replies. Thank you for telling me your experiences of DECT phones.
I have spoken to BT and asked for a returns label for this set but I might try Neil's suggestion of their Synergy 3105's just to see if it is a problem with my house environment. That is what I have been told so far, by BT's help line. It seems they can hear nothing at their end but I have got quite a lot of noise in my ear, I can tell you!
Thanks again, anyway.
Cheers.

SF

Steve
The Babel Fish; I really had forgotten about that!
Thinking on the same lines I could probably get Zaphod to help me "work" these 'phones properly!
Perhaps that's where I have gone wrong! Technical error or something.
Cheers.

SF

I too have a synergy phone with no probs at all. As mentioned before the first battery lasted only a few months but the replacement has been in there for over 3 years. Audio quality is excellant but the signal strength does not quite reach the workshop - probably about 120 feet from the base station.

Andy

Thanks once again.
I'm looking very carefully at the Synergy 'phones plus I have also been guided towards Panasonic 440's which, although more expensive, do have a reputation for reliability.
I will let you all know how this ends up.
Things seemed easier before technology made things "better".
Cheers.

SF

Back