Digital Caliper from screwfix

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archpa

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the Ax version, no complaints, well made, good battery life. The Screwfix version certainly looks better with the unpainted beam. Given a choice I'd keep mine.

Noel

The Screwfix one is exactly like the one I bought a while back in Lidl for 20 or 30 euros, I can't remember. But in anyway, far cheaper.
I am happy with it, it seems a decent tool, I use it a lot now that I have it.

CYC

Hi Archpa,

If it's any help, there was a thread on here some months ago about digital calipers on sale at Lidl stores.

They cost £9.99 and are the same as the ones from Screwfix. After a struggle locating them I managed to get two sets, they are housed in a solid wooden box with foam cushioning and come complete with a battery.

In use they have proved excellent and extremely good value for money.

Regards....Mike

I have a digital caliper like the screwfix one for sale surplus to requirements
in good condition only 4 months old, but needs a new battery How does £8 sound + a small P&P,

In fact I've just remembered I have new battery for it, I'll go and dig it out.
I can take a photo of it if you wish.

Hi, All

Thanks for all the useful replies. People on this forum certainly are really helpful!

Felderman, I am interested. Please can you send me a picture.

Thanks.

Felderman, I have got a miyoto one that cost about £80 but I get the batteries from my local jewlers about £3.00 the last time I bought one they are just like watch batteries.

Just read you post again, its £8 for the tool not a battery. :oops:

Jason

Paul here's the photo as promised.

calipers001.jpg

I had a mail order shot yesterday from Westfalia, the have got a carbon fibre digital calliper for £8.99
0800 083 5070

Westfalia: freepost SWB40531.
Ivybridge Devon.PL21 0zz
0800 083 5070.

Have purchased mail order from them previously and was OK.

I came across this product the other day and have got all in a lather as I think that it just might be a lower cost alternative to Incra type stuff.

http://www.pj-tooling.co.uk/units.asp

I think (but not sure) that it could easily fit on the Woodrat as an E-W digital readout. But also I think it has potential elsewhere in the workshop. Table saw readout? Anyway one's on order so we'll see.

Then I came across the remote three-axis display and thought...aha !! the first CNC wood milling machine aka WoodRat :lol:

That looks good Roger :D They say it's supplied with brackets to fit your tools. Is it like a ruler with the unit sliding on it?

I received the Digital Caliper from Westfalia. The battery was supplied separately but with no instructions with the Caliper on how to fit it. Very close examination of device, looking for battery panel - nothing - a solid housing. Phone call to Westfalia - "how do I fit the battery?" "Don't know, I will have to contact Germany, maybe you have to unscrew it or something"

"OK", I said "I'll have another go."

Problem, no screw holes visible! Removing label reveals watchmaker size screws- remove these reveals pcb held by even smaller watch maker screws. Remove these releases pcb and on reverse side, reveals pcb battery holder. By this time, push button switch and various bits of plastic have also fallen out. Very close examination of the housing - its solid - absolutely no provision for fitting/changing battery without disassembly!

All credit to Westfalia though, phoned again, this time spoke to a different person and tod him the sorry story. Money and postage being refunded.

Sorry about that one woodshaving. :oops:

But oddly enough I had to return my calliper purchased from a different supplier in stainless steel .........
well known tool supplier for a similar problem. the switch wouldnt work on my one.

Hey DW ! :D Nothing to be sorry about - you did not recommend it and at that price worth a punt! Westfalia were fine with refund so no damage done.
However do need to source a digital caliper that doesn't cost a fortune. My plan is to attach it to my RAT for North/South micro adjustment.
John

Problem now resolved with Westfalia units - second unit had sliding battery cover and works no problem. The cover on the first unit has fused with the main moulding, hence the no removable battery cover!

Latest posts

Back