Digital caliper from a well known supplier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased a pro model of the digital caliper mail order, the read up said metric and imperial. The scale markings on the beam show tenths of an inch. Next problem when I inserted the battery supplied the on off switch would not work.

The supplier did agree without question to accept return of item but I thought members might be interested re the imperial problem. Imperial to me is 1/16 or 1/8ths etc. I assume if the caliper had worked I would be getting decimals. i.e. .125 = 1/8th.

You assume correctly Dev, imperial is all decimalised, bit like our money........
Seriouly I've never seen a readout that shows fractions. Wonder if the battery was knackered.

Rgds

Noel

Devon,

I have a dial caliper that shows in 64ths etc. I got it from the USA. I thought I would miss the electronic version (I have the usual no-name metric/imperial decimal kind as well) - turns out I like the dial type better, for the same reason I like analaogue waches, it makes things easy to register at a glance.

IIRC it was about $20

Devon

My old rulers in my school days didnt' have cm, they had inches in 1/8, 1/16 1/32 and 1/10

Which supplier did you get this from? I'm about to get one and would want to avoid any that are not so good.

Ta.

Well for those of you who work using real units :wink: I'll post some details about the fractional calipers that I have :)

I spent ages, well a couple of weeks looking for a dial caliper that showed fractions of an inch from a suppler in the UK. I draw a blank :( But Highland Hardware have them for $29.99. I can recommend this company I have bought a few things from them and they are very good at keeping you informed of whats going on.

Dscn2893a.jpg

I have had the metal caliper for some months and am very please with it. I confess that I do look at ebay and have bought a few things :oops: and that is where I got the the Rabone one from. Now I did not know when I bid for it that its made out of plastic ! I am not sure I would have bid, however I only bid the start price of £1.99 (+£2.50 p+p) which is what I paid. :D It is lighter than the stainless steel one but it works, appears to be accurate and for £4.49 who can quibble :shock:

Dscn2895a.jpg

Dscn2896a.jpg

The dial easy to read, I need my glasses as soon as I start working in the shop anyway :?

Dscn2897a.jpg

This I think is why its such a well made tool. 8)
So you can buy a fractional imperial caliper in the UK, but its awaiting game

Back