Digital bevel box measuring device

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjh

Reaction score
Has anybody purchased an Axminster digital bevel box?
( You know the little cube device that has a magnetic base and looks just right for setting up the table saw to cut mitres at exactly 45°0')

Any other suggestions, apart from trial and error, as to how to set the blade angle to achieve that perfect 90° joint

bought a wixley one off ebay last week and it is an excellent bit of kit. I can now set up my t/s and mitre saw 100% accurately.

mjh":3gja7ty9 said:
Has anybody purchased an Axminster digital bevel box?
( You know the little cube device that has a magnetic base and looks just right for setting up the table saw to cut mitres at exactly 45°0')

Any other suggestions, apart from trial and error, as to how to set the blade angle to achieve that perfect 90° joint

Morning , I have a bevel box and its good , before that I used a engineers steel set square to set 90 degrees standing upright against the blade

:lol:

I've got a Beall Tilt Box which does the same.
Brilliant for both the t/s and scms. Also used it to check the router and t/s fences are 90° to their tables. Probably lots more uses too. Well worth having. :wink: :D

I imported one of these from Wixey a few years ago.

When it stopped working after 6mths, to their credit Wixey were great about replacing it.

The battery tends to flatten after a few months, so I remove between use.

It definitely comes into its own for non 90 degree settings, or observing changes whilst adjusting alignment. I use it a couple of times a year.

For the 90 degree settings, I think the eye and a decent engineer square are better.
Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so taking the actual cut and using the square on the job takes some beating – reality can harsh!

I see it no more than a useful accessory.

Had one given to me for a Christmas present.

After 3 months it will now give me two readings, a different reading
depending on which way you face the box. this applies both vertically & horizontally.

Asked Axminster if I could exchange beceuse I considered it had become faulty, because I did not have & cannot get the receipt the answer was NO.

Cannot therefore recommend, will try a Wixey next time.

dellpitch":3nq18bqt said:
Had one given to me for a Christmas present.

After 3 months it will now give me two readings, a different reading
depending on which way you face the box. this applies both vertically & horizontally.

Asked Axminster if I could exchange beceuse I considered it had become faulty, because I did not have & cannot get the receipt the answer was NO.

Cannot therefore recommend, will try a Wixey next time.

FWIW - you're not obliged to provide a receipt as proof of purchase.

I use a sled, they are self correcting.

Roy.

I am very pleased with my Wixey. Reviews stated that it only had a plastic case, unlike the Beall. That was a bit of a disappointment, but as the Beall would have cost twice as much, I went for the cheaper option. The Wixex has a metal with a plastic back. £ magnets give it a good grip. All my tools are now exact, but the fridge has a lean of 0.6degrees. All other appliances are now horizontal. I have run out of things to set up. My floor at school dips at 1.9 degrees on the left and 2.4 on the right. If it floods, and the roof continues to leak, there will be a 4" puddle near the middle.

The gem has a spirit level and a hold button. Both are £9 more than the Wixey off ebay from Allendale Stores
Search wixey digital angle gauge
there are 35 listed for sale.

I've resisted buying one, I have a precut 45% piece of timber to lay on the TS to get a rough setting, do a test cut and check with the gauge until I do not see any daylight.

I have been using the Axminster Bevel Box for about 18 months or so. I originally purchased it thinking it was a "would be nice gadget (it was on offer); I was so wrong, I now use it whenever I set the blade, tilt the band saw table etc. I have found it is accurate too, if the Bevel Box reads 90.1 on one side of the Table Saw blade, I get 89.9 on the side. Yetty made an interesting comment about the battery life, I thought they were going flat because I forgot to switch the unit off, I’ll remove the battery to see if this improves its life, saying this, my last battery did last six months.

Back