Different pen?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
Well it is for me and probably a one off?

Plypen1.jpg

Made by cutting 6 1" squares and glueing them together,
cutting them to the length of 1/2 the pen on my little cutting jig,
drilling the center out,
reglueing the bits back together after the drilling had split them in different places,
epoxy glueing the brass tubes in,
trimming the ends on my barrel trimmer and finally mounting them on my mandrill.

Very carefully turned them down with my 1"oval skew and got them down to the shape I wanted after sharpening it 3 times! Celulose sanding sealed and alowed to dry, de-knibbed and a coat of melamine lacqure. Once that was dry it was buffed on my Beal kit finishing with carnuba wax and assembled.

I should have learned from the ply bowl I turned a few years back. Same crappie ply!

I have no idea what the French actually have in their ply wood but it's the biggest load of old pony poo I have come across and just as soft too! And the adhesive takes the edge off a tool just by looking at it :shock:

made me feel sorry really for you; until I remembered my last problem :)

lovely looking result

Don't give up :roll: Segmenting pens can be good fun. (hammer)

This is one of mine made up of three woods: Bloodwood, Purpleheart & Beech Glued together,

then cut into 24 x 4mm slices then glued on to the tubes of a JR Gentlemans pen kit in a spiral,

Apologies for the Pic colouration, top one is closer to actual colour.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

John. B

Jonzjob":xl0h0ld8 said:
Refresh my memory? What last roblem?

I must admit that it does look quite good :mrgreen: Came up with a nice shine too, not too much, I don't like too much shine. It may as well be plastic like that?

I agree!! :lol:

This is one for a friend who is the Lady Captain of her golf club.

Photographed, then printed on thin photo paper cut and stuck onto the tube, same with text on the barrel.

Then embedded in clear cast resin, then shaped as normal with a pen, (but with extra care)

This was the result.

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

She was pretty chuffed 8)

John. B

PS...Kallanshanwoods are very very good, Very Very Expensive kits, and, They are in America #-o

Jonzjob":29uh1d9y said:
Refresh my memory? What last roblem?

well mine don't end up producing such results, so I don't tend to post them......the last was (surprisingly) an oak goblet that developed/aquired/I found a split in, just after I had finished the bowl to 1mm #-o ; last week it was a small ash hollow form that I caught the hollowing tool on one of the last internal cuts and ended up with a split at the neck....you can see the split about 1/3rd in from the left in this image (taken to remind me to be carefull over those last cuts!)

6312430411_bfcb08e742.jpg

Back