different Island

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Work in progress, all 6 drawer fronts are out of a single slab of pippy oak, same on other side. splines instead of dovetails.
25mm oak top with 2mm stainless steel catering grade plate stuck to it, 2950 x 1400mm.
The plinth will have matt black panels fixed to it, and the rest of the kitchen will be matt black flat doors. The rest of the kitchen has Nocturne corian worktops.
iiUrnV6.jpg

LA0mk6z.jpg

mIT4NWz.jpg

i7DJOYg.jpg

I like it. I am very much attracted to things that are dramatic and look like they have not come out of the typical high street upmarket kitchen show room. Very nice quality work. Very different. This is what |"differentiated design" is about.

Looking good, I'm hoping this becomes the fashion so I can work on 20mm clearance around drawers instead of 1mm 🙂

The third picture makes it look like someone just brought it in on a pallet truck and dropped it in the middle of the room 🙃

Joking aside I think it will look great, a bit industrial, I'm just not brave enough to go for such a look.

It’s the top and end panels that get me Dr Bob, they are nearly 5ft wide! How you control that under a stainless steel lid doesn’t bear thinking about. That’s quite a project you’ve got there with some very big slabs of timber.
I think you are lucky to be able to get a sheet of stainless that size, I bet it wasn’t cheap!

Theyre going to regret that stainless top. It will be impossible to stop it getting scratched, and scratches on large polished sheets look awful. Expect to be asked to remove it before the end of the year. :cry:

It’s the top and end panels that get me Dr Bob, they are nearly 5ft wide! How you control that under a stainless steel lid doesn’t bear thinking about. That’s quite a project you’ve got there with some very big slabs of timber.
I think you are lucky to be able to get a sheet of stainless that size, I bet it wasn’t cheap!

The end panels are solid but fixed to a sheet of veneer behind on sliders, the worktop is 25mm ply with a 90 x 25mm solid lip of pippy oak.

Sunny Bob if the kitchen is for an actual cook, as opposed to someone just wanting a kitchen that looks pretty, they will know that stainless steel marks. Lots of professionals prefer SS, even at home, because of the abuse it will take.

Agreed, over 20 years installing and repairing industrial catering equipment gives me a wealth of experience on stainless :p
But many people outside the industry only see it when its pristine, which doesnt last much past the first day of use.:cool:

This is the first time I've used stainless as a worktop. The client is familiar with steel work surfaces and was a requirement from them.

Hmm? I can't say I find the large gap around each drawer front aesthetically attractive, and I do wonder how much dirt and dust will find its way into each of the drawers through those gaps.

I expect the quality of the making is as excellent as I've grown to expect from previous examples of your work. I am however struggling to understand the technical nuances in following description you provided to Cabinetman. I'm not sure what you mean where you say "fixed to a sheet of veneer behind on sliders". Can you please elucidate. Thanks. Slainte.

The end panels are solid but fixed to a sheet of veneer behind on sliders ...

It means the solid end panels are fixed to the veneer behind with hidden screws in elongated holes to allow for expansion or contraction in the solid end panels.
Sliders= non tech term we tend to use at work............ you can maybe help me Richard with a correct term
If you look at the images you can see the vertical gaps are filled with an edged veneer set 50mm back. 19mm on the ends and 16mm in the middle 2 gaps, there is then a thin slither placed over the veneer slightly wider to hide the undermounted runners.
It was quite a technical project, because the veneer is set back the runners are set back and therefore set back on the drawers, all little details which need thinking about. Ensuring sufficent strength within the island to prevent sagging was a major consideration.

Last edited:
It means the solid end panels are fixed to the veneer behind with hidden screws in elongated holes to allow for expansion or contraction in the solid end panels.
Sliders= non tech term we tend to use at work............ you can maybe help me Richard with a correct term

Slot screwed is the common term I'd say.

If you look at the images you can see the vertical gaps are filled with an edged veneer set 50mm back. 19mm on the ends and 16mm in the middle 2 gaps, there is then a thin slither placed over the veneer slightly wider to hide the undermounted runners.

It was quite a technical project, because the veneer is set back the runners are set back and therefore set back on the drawers, all little details which need thinking about. Ensuring sufficient strength within the island to prevent sagging was a major consideration.

I see now how you’ve set back a fill for the vertical gaps they being visible in the second image down, and obviously required to carry the slides. I don't see any horizontal ones, presumably because they’re not practical to include or not technically required. I’m guessing dirt and dust can still work its way into the drawers, which was one of my concerns. I do like the lack of pulls, but perhaps they’re yet to be fitted or not required because the drawers are on touch latch opening and self-closing undermount slides.

Thanks for the additional explanation, although I have to admit I'm still not overly enamoured of the gappy appearance around the drawers. However, that's just my opinion, and aesthetic opinions, as you know, are like anuses - everyone's got one. If the client's happy, and they pay you gladly, that's really all that matters as far as I'm concerned. Slainte.

Back