Different colour BLO?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Was wondering if there are(I haven't seen any) BLO products that contain stains pre-mixed? Or if there aren't, any recommendation for a stain that works well with BLO as top coat? Something cheap preferably.
thank you.

Osvaldd":1gb90j87 said:
Hi,
Was wondering if there are(I haven't seen any) BLO products that contain stains pre-mixed? Or if there aren't, any recommendation for a stain that works well with BLO as top coat? Something cheap preferably. thank you.
I can't say I have either. But if I was going to try going down this route I'd experiment with oil based dyes and/or stains, such as the Fiddes brand - see link below. At least with oil based colourants, the oil is either white spirit and/or naphtha, both of which are compatible with boiled linseed oil. I've no idea of the kind of result you'd get, but it might work.

Alternatively, colour the wood first, then apply the oil, which is what MusicMan (Keith) suggested. Slainte.

http://rydenor.co.uk/stains-and-pigment ... /oil-based

Surprisingly I have got away with using spirit stains for colouring water based glue (cascamite*) and oils for small projects.

The oil does not look too promising at first but the results I obtained when well mixed were adequate to produce a tint to the finish.

First reaction was that it would not work, I can only assume that the volatiles in the spirit stain evaporate rapidly just leaving the solids behind.

* mix stain with powder before adding water.

Sgian Dubh's recommendation of oil based is obviously the route for best practice but this is what I get by using the unlikely mix of, to all intents incompatible spirit stains which has worked for me because it was readily to hand when just trying to add a tint without the problems of the stains penetrating the wood at different densities.

Finishing Oil.
coloured-finishing oil.jpg

Attachments

• coloured-finishing oil.jpg
    coloured-finishing oil.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 276
CHJ":lwv2kc7z said:
… oil based is obviously the route for best practice but this is what I get by using the unlikely mix of, to all intents incompatible spirit stains which has worked for me
It wouldn't be my first choice to use spirit stains I suppose, but the fact they do appear to work doesn't really surprise me. Their solvent, after all, is industrial alcohol (meths or methanol) and this can be mixed with both white spirits and naphtha, and it evaporates quicker than either of those solvents at the same temperature.

It's also found in small quantities in lacquer thinner used with such stuff as pre-cat lacquer. I sometimes, for example, used spirit stain diluted with industrial alcohol to tint finishes such as pre-cat lacquer. I haven't needed to do that for a while, but I know it works if done correctly. Slainte.

I'm reading these Van Dyke/Dyck crystals only suitable for oak, mahogany and walnut?
I have some softwood that need staining.
Also, how does it compare to oil/solvent based stains? Does is cover the grain much?
cheers

I've used it on beech successfully. The grain still shows through. It feels like staining the wood with black coffee basically :)

Maybe I'll try that next time :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BLO – any oil, or oil-based finish – can be readily tinted with oils paints. This in essence makes a homemade pigmented oil stain (or toner, or glaze, depending on how/when you use it).

Other colouring candidates for oil finishes are oil-based enamels and Japan colours, but cheap student-quality oil paints like Georgian or Winton are probably still the cheapest way to do this and they're availably nearly everywhere, including some high-street newsagents.

Osvaldd":ljdsx7et said:
I'm reading these Van Dyke/Dyck crystals only suitable for oak, mahogany and walnut?
Best suited to, not only suited to. This is about the colouring that people commonly want for given woods, the van dyke crystals don't care either way.

Osvaldd":ljdsx7et said:
I have some softwood that need staining.
Bear in mind the likely outcome of conventional stains on softwoods. Especially if it's cheap pine or spruce!

If you want to colour this type of wood evenly gel stains are probably your best option. The only option worth considering according to some sources. Gel stains don't soak in so they don't blotch, but they obscure the natural grain the most of all 'stains' since naturally they're sitting on the surface and not colouring the wood directly.

tried the van dyck crystals, I like it. The middle piece though, is it white oak? doesn't look as impressive as the other two.

Attachments

• IMG_4626.JPG
    IMG_4626.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4627.JPG
    IMG_4627.JPG
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 164
Remember you can go over a piece again, or use a more concentrated solution. There's a lot of flexibility. The middle bit is fairly close grained so won't absorb so easily.

Latest posts

Back