Different approach to chisel storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
This one cropped up on The Porch; thought it might be of interest.
chiseltree.jpg

And the text to go with it:
A vertical wooden member runs from the floor to about 6 feet
high and has several platforms attached to it with metal right-
angle brackets. A two-disc, wooden, circular carousel sits on
each platform and can rotate horizontally about a short wooden
dowel affixed to the platform. Holes in the top carousel plate hold the
chisels. The carousel can be taken from the tree and placed
on the bench to allow quick access to all the chisel sizes in
a set - it seems I always need more than one. The carousel goes
back on the tree when the chisel work is done. You can hold a
lot of tools in a small amount of floor space and wall space.

Cheers, Alf

Alf, very nice. Trouble is I could get all my chisels on just the top tier of one of those stands.
I rather like the smell of the leather tool roll that holds my ever expanding set of AI chisles (another two added at Xmas only 4 more to get). Now if only I had the time to use them....

Andy

I rather like the smell of the leather tool roll that holds my ever expanding set of AI chisles

Say I too (with said roll and chisels), however, within 5 minutes of placing chisels in roll and generally fiddling on Christmas morning as want to do, two chisels effortlessly snicked through the pocket stitching :evil: . My solution.... I've placed some folded tough plastic strips (500 micron polyester book covers) into the pockets. Maybe this rather spoils the leather-cossetting thing, but how else do I stop the thing getting cut to ribbons?. Did you have the same problem? I should have stuck to paln A and made a box, but I can't send the leather roll back now, so may as well carry on using it. The Adrias are going to get the companion leather bag methinks.

Alf,

It looks like a good solution. I can't quite see how it works for chisels with wide blades as in the holder at top right - any clues?

waterhead37":23uto3j3 said:
I can't quite see how it works for chisels with wide blades as in the holder at top right - any clues?

Well spotted Chris, quick guess, cut a slot across the hole to allow the blade through but support the handle?

Looks to me like they are all on separate stands-you just lift the stand off onto the bench and then take the chisel out.
Or maybe I'm wrong....
Cheers
Philly :D

Dave,
I think you are right, I can just make out what looks to be such a slot.

Philly - crossed wires I think, although you are right, the carrousels do lift off according to Alf's note.

waterhead37":3sxtylg9 said:
I can't quite see how it works for chisels with wide blades as in the holder at top right - any clues?
No idea, but I'd go with Dave's guess too. I've got the guy's email address here if anyone wants to pester him.
biggrin.gif
As an idea it appeals to me a lot (yes, Dave, mainly 'cos of the chisel/gouge problem I have. Also the gauges, auger bits, screwdrivers, well, you get the idea...) but it'd be a nightmare dust and rust trap I fear. I'll have to stick with drawers and canvas rolls; not as handy, but they'll do.

Ike, not so good that the stiching gave way so readily. Who's chisel roll is it? I've never yet had that problem, and that includes self-sewn rolls (and I'm about as good at sewing as I am at keeping my posts short.) It really shouldn't be a problem IMO, otherwise what's the point in it at all? And that pun was totally unplanned, honest it was...

Cheers, Alf

Who's chisel roll is it?

Axminster. The overall quality looks pretty OK, but I think the designer lost the plot. I'm just surprised that the leather wasn't 'wrapped' the opposite way so as to have a leather fold rather than stitching at the bottom of the pockets. Maybe I shouldn't be putting the sharp end in the pocket, but the handles are too fat to put them in the other way round. All in all, the bl***y thing looks and smells great but is a total waste of money :evil: .

Ike

ike":3ph1c6ep said:
I'm just surprised that the leather wasn't 'wrapped' the opposite way so as to have a leather fold rather than stitching at the bottom of the pockets.
That seems to be the norm, but there should be a bit of trim or something over the ends shouldn't there?

Maybe I shouldn't be putting the sharp end in the pocket, but the handles are too fat to put them in the other way round.
Only done that way for carving tools, so that's no excuse.

All in all, the bl***y thing looks and smells great but is a total waste of money :evil: .
To be honest I'd say it sounds like it's not fit for the purpose it was sold for, so you should get your money back. At the least I think you should let them know there's a possible problem, otherwise how will they know?

Cheers, Alf

ike":3jebry9n said:
Did you have the same problem?

Ike, not yet. But then I still have some of the little wax moulds that AI put on the sharp end during transit.
Perhaps attaching a cork to the sharp end might help?

I should also comment that as they do not get used much wear and tear on the roll is minimal.

Andy

Perhaps attaching a cork to the sharp end might help?

Might do - for a bit, but they're so damn sharp, I think they'll quickly slice through softer materials.

The plastic gloop doesn't last long once the chisels are fully sharpened, and I find the stuff is pestilential to get off everytime I come to use them. I think the camelia oil makes them stick.

I've seen those spring loaded plastic protector sets for 5 bucks in the Lee Valley catalogue which will cover the full set except for the 2" chisel (which I don't have and am very unlikely to want).

On their own as protectors - great solution, but except for the smallest chisels, will be too bulky for the pockets, but then the roll becomes pretty pointless (hmmm, touch of deja vue there) doesn't it?.

I do like the leather roll concept as I can then just stuff the chisels into my travelling toolbox whereas a custom wooden box I think will be kind of a 'clunky' solution. It just bugs me when I experience what should be a great product, but is let down by poor design.

I can probably live with the plastic card insert solution although it irks me some. I suppose the only other option is too get a local saddler to knock up a pouch for me.

cheers

Ike

Back