difference between Bevel Edge and Cabinet Makers Chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cabinet makers chisels usually have a finer bevel on their edges and a finer section blade which is not suitable for heavy use with a mallet.

When I did my training many moons ago I was taught to use the rectangular sectioned Firmer chisels for all general purpose and work where heavy mallet strokes were required, Mortice chisels for cutting mortice holes and bevel edged chisels for the finer work such as dovetails but only to be lightly tapped with a mallet. We then had long and short reach paring chisels for the ultra fine work and these were never struct with a mallet.

Nowerdays though the bevel edge chisel appears to have taken over from the firmer as the general purpose tool with the cabinet makers chisels being finer more akin to the short reach paring chisel.

Hope this helps

Rog

So if i want something to use for some furniture work, making joints and such, would i be best to go for bevel edged? As presumably i'd need to give them a whack every so often. Are the cabinet makers ones designed to be hit at all?

And if you could only have one size of mortice chisel, what would you go for?

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks again. That set for £30 does seem great value.

any advice on one size mortice chisel to get?

6mm or 1/4" as by the rule of thirds any carcasing in 3/4" would require a 1/4" mortice - this would be applicable to cabinet doors etc.

Obviously if you are doing larger work then the 3/8" or 10mm for 30mm thick timber and so on.

Hope that helps

Back