Difference between a parting tool and a chisel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wanting to buy a decent vee chisel, i've mentioned it in previous threads here. I settled on getting one from Robert Sorby, the 1/8th inch as i want to cut very narrow v shaped groove along a piece of wood, making it look similar to paneling on a door.

After toying with the idea for a while now, i've suddenly realised i've been looking at both parting and v chisels :roll: Whats the difference?

I just want a basic chisel for cutting a V groove.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Calv.

Calv,

No difference if we are talking carving tools - its just a name. The parting refers to the separation of two areas to be carved. It is an older name and not much used these days.

It will be difficult to carve straight enough to faithfully reproduce a panelled effect. I wold use a scratchstock for this I think.

Thanks for the advice Chris, much appreciated.

As for the straight carving, i usualy want a slightly crooked, more natural look to the groove so if it's a tiny bit wonky it does'nt matter too much. If i want it pretty straight i score a thin line with a Stanley blade first and follow the line.

Thanks again,

Calv.

Back