Differance in vices.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
I was searching the Net for vice details due to a thread on the forum. Whilst looking, I cam across certain details that I don't understand and was wondering if someone would enlighten me.

SPEC 1) Record 52 1/2 ED.
Provides a normal vice and tail vice in one tool.

SPEC 2) Record 52 1/2 PD.
Similar to the E vices but for the professional user who requires a plain screw action.

Q1) What is a tail vice?

Q2) What is meant by a plain screw action?

Q3) Why would the PD be more appropriate for the professional than the ED?

Thanks for your interest.

ATB Gary.

garywayne":29g1got1 said:
Q1) What is a tail vice?
It's the one that goes on the end of the bench with the movement of the vice in the direction of the length of the bench. Usually its main task is to carry a bench dog, which is probably what Record mean. i.e. That the vice includes a metal dog.

Q2) What is meant by a plain screw action?
As opposed to a quick release I imagine. That is you have to wind it in out out all the way; no lever to press to disengage a special nut that allows you to just pull the face of the vice in and out. (And the opportunity for double entendres in all that is extensive...)

Q3) Why would the PD be more appropriate for the professional than the ED?
Erm, probably because the plain screw is rather more robust with less to go wrong than a quick release..? :?

Cheers, Alf

Perversely in repetitive work (many pieces the same size) the extra precision on a plain screw is helpful.

Quick release often have quite a bit of lash (or hysteresis).

With a plain screw, you can go from loose to tightly held in half a turn, which is nice.

BugBear

Thanks guys.

That all makes sense now. :D

I have got a Record 52, and a 52 1/2E, both are quick release, but no dog hole. I suppose it would be a good idea to look out for a vice with a dog hole and a plain screw action then. O:) From what you explained bugbear, it will probably pay dividends in the long run.

Thank you both very much. :eek:ccasion5:

ATB Gary.

I think you have a 52E and a 52.5E then.

52, 52.5, 53 = size, 7 inches, 9 inches, 10.5 inches (width of jaws)

E=quick release
P=plain screw
D=dog

Back