Diesel Engines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howjoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon,

I've got a MB Vito 110 CDi van and I've just noticed that the acceleration is dying out at 3000rpm. It won't go above that mark and loses speed.

I know absolutely nothing about mechanics, so before I ring the garage, is there anyone who know's what the cause may be?

Cheers,

Howard

I had a similar problem with a petrol engined car and it turned out to be the ECU (Electronic Control Unit). But my knowledge of mechanics is even less than my woodworking knowledge :oops: So I can't make any suggestions beyond that.

Is 3000rpm a precise number of just a ball-park figure? If it's precise then perhaps the rev limiter is coming in too early.

I'm sure we must have some mechanics on the forum though so they'll probably be along soon.

Good luck,

Simon

Hi used to be a diese fitter a number of years ago.

Could be quite a few things, but i'd start with the intrecooler pipework (assuming it's a turbo) if it's split when the turbo cuts in it just pumps the air out and looses all the pressure.
Modern diesel engines are controlled by a lot of electronics to keep them greener, this means loads of little electrical gizmos that can go wrong.
You'll probably end up taking it to the local mechanic. Worth making sure they've got the kit to test and diagnose diesel faults though.

If it is the intercooler pipework,it is normally accompanied by a loud "vacuum" sort of noise,and would lead to a reduction in power,rather than dying out.
Could be something easy like partially blocked filter,or obstructed linkage on the injection pump.
Or it could be worn injectors or injection pump,head gasket,piston rings.

As The Restorer said,if unsure,get it checked by a garage - not worth playing about with if you don't know what you are doing (and ECU's are designed to make it hard to fix anything on them yourself anyway :( )

Andrew (ATB Crafstman in Mechanized Operations,amongst other things)

Thanks all.

It's been OK for most of yesterday and today, the problem came back. :?

I'll be calling the garage on Monday. It's too wet and windy to start mucking about under the bonnet myself!

Cheers,

Howard

hi howard ,
have you had the van serviced on a regular basis ???
if so then a partially blocked filter is out of the question
but try this first as its the cheapest "starting point" for diagnosing what is actually wrong with it
had diesels for the last 15 yrs and believe me when i tell you i know how much they cost when they go wrong :(
hope this helps
mel

Asked my Dad, he's a Mechanic-retired. He said that it sounds like the lift pump. He said to have it pressure tested. He said try to find a commercial diesel mechanic/garage. They will have better testing gear etc. As others mentioned he also said check for split intercooler pipes. Also is it using lots of oil? Could be Turbo problem as its engine speed related.
If you have any others sypmtoms i'll pass them on.
regards
lee.

It's been OK for most of yesterday and today, the problem came back.

Intermittent - in that case I'll lay a bet it's either a faulty sensor or a dodgy connection to a sensor. You could be looking for a needle in a haystack with the complexity of the modern diesel particularly if it's a common rail system. A garage can quickly interrogate the ECU fault log to help deduce the problem.

Ike

Back