did you win this Jacob lol

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob probably uses a spade with a rounded bevel, its not about the tools :wink:

Pete

Actually I think it is an outstanding example of fine forge work and probably worth the money.

Truly toolmaking as an art and no doubt highly effective at holding an edge.

did you win this Jacob?
I'd buy one if I needed one. But I don't (yet). Nor does anyone on this forum let's face it. :roll: Fantasy woodwork games.

Did you see the other Japanese chisel sets and singles that the guy was selling?

Wonderful Damascus steel CLICKITY CLICK

Pure art in tool form in their own right. Something few people fully appreciate I would imagine....

J

does look like lovely workmanship BUT its a chisel and there must be a point were a level of manufacture is such that any think above this is just wasted and for show and pride of ownership.
Is it going to perform any better than say a £100 chisel

I depends on which £100 chisel.

I don't have any difficulty with art and excellence in tool design and making, in fact it is a pleasure, albeit often an expensive one.

It is, however, a different subject to what you need to produce good joinery, especially as a business.

clk230":1n4gg7rh said:
does look like lovely workmanship BUT its a chisel and there must be a point were a level of manufacture is such that any think above this is just wasted and for show and pride of ownership.

Are you saying that owning something for show and pride is a waste?

Following this logic...should people not be able to buy and admire the Samurai sword without chopping someone's head off or falling on it occasionally? :wink:

Jim

clk230":1wxz66or said:
The very fancy Damascus steel blades that Jim refers to are all for show and are and to demonstrate the art of the maker...they don't work any better as Toshio Odate is at pains to point out. However, the one in the OP's post is claimed to be 'sword steel' and does look like a superb piece of Japanese blacksmith work, so it's probably, to those that could afford it, worth the money but I think I'd hesitate before I used it - Rob

clk230":1rcfyoch said:

That would have been just what I was looking for for hanging doors - with the crank on it it would have been ideal for sticking under the bottom of the door and using your foot on the handle to lever the door into the correct place to screw the hinges to the frame. Not sure how much use it would be as a chisel though.

I keep forgetting - I have bought some pricey tools over the years - Ashley Iles gouge, Gransfor axe, Karlsson gouges. I bought them for a project - part realised, some way to go.
It's just that I'm not a tooly willy waver like so many on here.
NB I have actually used them :shock: sorry about that - you probably think I'm just trying to be different.
Gransfor and Karlsson are very much in the same tradition as those Jap makers but free of the the vague mystical bullshit-( not the Jap's fault, I blame the toolies). Ashley Iles some way behind but still very good.

So clk230, which is your most Rambo style willy-waving tool? I bet it's a boring old Festool piece of tat. :lol:

jimi43":298hpgkl said:
Are you saying that owning something for show and pride is a waste?...
Er.. yes. And deeply boring. Yawn. I'm nodding off as I type! zzzzzzzzzzz I hope the electric blanket is on

no Festool here Jacob only some old record planes i do have some A.I chisels though.

owning a chisel for show is a little strange IMO.

Jacob":ypo72nch said:
I keep forgetting - I have bought some pricey tools over the years - Ashley Iles gouge, Gransfor axe, Karlsson gouges. I bought them for a project - part realised, some way to go.

What project was the £1450 titanium + carbon bike for Jacob; or was that bought for pleasure?

NB - A Raleigh Wayfarer perfectly good enough for cycling, etc,.

BugBear

Oh gawd he's following me about again. :roll:

PS Actually there is a (vaguely) interesting point raised here. I started cycling as a kid on my mother's heavy shopper with rod brakes and a basket on the front, several sizes too big - I couldn't sit on the saddle and reach the pedals.
According to tooly theory this should have discouraged me and put me off for life!
Absolutely wrong. What a surprise!

Back