Dick rebate block plan with adjustable mouth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had the LN version, which is well made, for several years. It probably gets used once or twice a year if I need to clean up alongside a sidewall inside a cabinet. I do not use a plane on tenon cheeks, and I'd rather use a shoulder plane to fine tune rebates as it is better balanced for this.

Some like to use this plane as an all rounder block plane. I prefer the standard low angle block plane as it is more comfortable in the hand, stiffer in the body, and has less projecting edges to cut a finger!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi - I have the Quangsheng version (which I strongly suspect is made in the same Chinese factory as the one in your link). Mine is a (good quality) copy of the LN one and is very good value for what it is. As already said, it probably won't get used very often in preference to the non-rebate version (especially if you have a shoulder plane) - but when the situation arises, it's an excellent tool. Cheers, W2S

An option you might be interested in trying out:

RzzMbJg.jpg

Woody2Shoes":2ib5flwy said:
Hi - I have the Quangsheng version (which I strongly suspect is made in the same Chinese factory as the one in your link)...
The problem is, Quangsheng build quality differs according to the requirements of the customer. So a "Dick" Quangsheng is not necessarily the same quality as a "Woodriver" Quangsheng, or a WH "Quangsheng", or a "Rider" Quangsheng.

If you want to know the quality of the "Dick" Quangsheng, you'll have to find another "Dick" owner.

Cheers, Vann.

Thanks for the response.
I looked at the LN. I can't justify that sort of money
The quanssheng I have seen, don't have the adjustable mouth.
I will probably get a small rebate plan or medium sized shoulder plane, and just carry one more tool in my bag.
Thanks again

The problem is nobody makes a version of this plane with all the nice to have features - most importantly an adjustable mouth and side 'knickers'. For the former it has to be the Dick, the later the LN. The Dick has the V1 Quangsheng adjuster which is a close copy of the LN. The V3 adjuster is much nicer - better than the LN in that it des not push the blade sideways but the QS available in the UK does not have the adjustable mouth. To be fair it would be difficult to have both the side nickers and the adjustable mouth without a redesign. Maybe best to look at the Veritas side rebate block planes instead which are excellent.

The quality of the Dick plane is very good for the money though as is the QS- similar in quality. These are copies of the original Sargent plane by the way so LN were not the first with this type of plane.

I take courses with DICKtum, and have for years.

I know the DICKs quite well, but can't compare them with the other China sourced planes.

But I can compare them with the US & CAN equivalents, and the verdict on clear. The DICK competitors are simply better... In just about every way... Except the price, of course. A DICK is always cheaper.

But as the old adage goes, buy the best you can afford... You will only regret it once.

Besides which... Who wants a brown DICK (hammer)

.G.

CONGER":9myzzem3 said:
I take courses with DICKtum, and have for years.

I know the DICKs quite well, but can't compare them with the other China sourced planes.

But I can compare them with the US & CAN equivalents, and the verdict on clear. The DICK competitors are simply better... In just about every way... Except the price, of course. A DICK is always cheaper.

But as the old adage goes, buy the best you can afford... You will only regret it once.

Besides which... Who wants a brown DICK (hammer)

.G.
Thanks for the reply.
I brought a shoulder plane in the end.

Back