diamond tissue box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
As per advice by forum members I have drawn up a full size template for this design.

Purple heart and Maple to be used around 10mm thick. And I will attempt to sink the top surface of tissue box into carcass to maintain pattern integrity.

3w.jpg

Attachments

• 3w.jpg
    3w.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,420
  • 3w.jpg
    3w.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,424
One plan spare for your use. :wink: (Having a bit of bother on ukworkshop web at the present time, it was duplicated because the add file button did not work quick enough, so I pressed the button again and got an immediate response, hence the duplicate I suppose)

Located my board of Purple Heart, (price of £27 shown at top of board) and chopped off as per picture.

4w-34.jpg

The same for the piece of maple, plus a spare piece of p/h in case needed. (it has a knot)

5w-31.jpg

Pieces prepared (missed one piece of p/h off the photo) down to just under 10mm thick.

6w-28.jpg

I will most probably saw the shapes by hand, my freehand bandsawing to a line is not to good, eyesight and also inclined to stop when steering the timber through the blade always ends in trouble for me.

So hope to post tomorrow with good news!

Looking good John.

If your drawings are full size you could set your tablesaw mitre guide to the drawings and make repeated cuts on the tablesaw?

Just a thought.

Dave

Dave the timber prepared is not really long enough to get more than one cut of each length safely and I don't like working too near the table saw blade or clamps near the blade.

I have started the marking out of diamonds, and I used the digital caliper set to 42.50mm and marked off this way, it provides an accurate repetitive measurement device and using a pencil does not involve scratching the timber surface.

7w-28.jpg

All the carcass diamonds marked out on the Maple.

8w-28.jpg

Cut the diamonds free hand on the bandsaw, the mitre gauge does not set to required angle and a second length would not be long enough etc. to make setting up an angle corrective device worth while.

9w-27.jpg

Sixteen waste bits over!
Will have to use for another one!

11w-22.jpg

Cut the Purple heart patterns and used the sanding machine to clean up the glue surfaces. The large maple patterns I was able to use the setting gauge on the sander but those smaller pieces are being sanded freehand. :evil:

12w-21.jpg

But things are coming to shape.

14w-17.jpg

Household maintenance is beckoning again so fun being delayed.

Household maintenance given to a plumber, decided my hand cannot turn a spanner tight enough. :wink:

Started gluing up some of the pieces.

15w-20.jpg

Glued and clamped them up to my usual method the item marked with an arrow are a very handy tool they just slip in to interchange bit and drill when needed. This one is a cheapo but a pro might go for the more expensive one.

16w-18.jpg

Brought the first lot in doors for the evening and this morning I am quite pleased with the progress, I allowed wastage to hopefully make the jointing process at corners easier.

17w-17.jpg

The lady noticed an imperfection to her kitchen top and complained that there was a spot of hardened glue, however I have managed to allay her concern pointing out that I splashed some soya sauce when adding to the cooking pot and that seems to have cleared the air. :wink:

Just a short progress report, hopefully everything will clean up on the thicknesser and pieces will saw up square :wink:

18w-17.jpg

19w-17.jpg

The box was finished last weekend, and vistors took it away before I had time to take pictures. However it was a bit gaudy in my opinion, perhaps next time with sapelle and maple.

Hi DW - pity we couldn't see the finished article, but I understand your comments. Looking forward to the next variant....

Dave

Sportique":bjl7vskb said:
Hi DW - pity we couldn't see the finished article, but I understand your comments. Looking forward to the next variant....

Dave

There is one today, (slightly different) :wink:

Back