Diamond sharpening stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve James

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Has anyone got one of these stones?
One of the other joiners had one and I had a go, the difference in sharpening time and sharpness was unbelievable!
The downside is that they seem so expensive.
The stone he had was single sided with the "diamonds" spaced about 3 or 4 mm apart.
So any recommendations from experience?
Also best/cheapest place to buy?

Thanks
Steve

I have 2 they are both 6 x 2 inch one is fine and the other extra fine but mine are the contiuous type which don't have any spacing which are better as if you are sharpening small chisel they won't get snagged on the mesh checkout here http://www.tooled-up.com/MicroCategory. ... 9&MCID=899 they are only £24.90 and i would highley recommend a course and an extra fine.

derek681 and/or anyone who can help. I am interested in your recommendation do you have to use a special lube with them to stop rusting swarf causing damage.

Steve, I have a fine/coarse Duosharp, which I use all the time. Lovely bit of kit, but pricey and no good for a really fine edge. My number one reason for liking them is I don't have to worry about them going out of flat, which beats waterstones hands down for me. Mine are "dotty" ones, but as DW says, that's a pain for small tools. The Trend double sided one's been getting some good press btw, and that's made in the UK, if you're feeling patriotic.

Old, I use parrafin (well odourless lamp oil actually) on mine, and it seems to do the job very well. I read it suggested somewhere - can't remember where. That and a clean with a plastic eraser now and again seems to keep it working just fine.

Cheers, Alf

On the packaging it reccomends that you not use potroleum based products only water or you can buy a fluid called lapping fluid but to be honest i only use water and it works a treat.

derek681":8b89xovy said:
On the packaging it reccomends that you not use potroleum based products only water
S'what I thought too, Derek, but this info came from someone at DMT IIRC (wish I could remember where I read it - might have been Jim Kingshott?). Certainly I've noticed no ill-effects to the stone and at least it avoids the rust problem. But something may have changed in the newer examples, so definitely only try it at your own risk. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Alf, my two stones are the continuous type so maybe mine maybe slightley different to yours.

A usefull and cheaper size is the credit card diamond sharpeners which you keep in your top pocket ant use to give router cutters a quick light rub with on the flat face which keeps the edges sharp.

Back