Diamond Lapping Film

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a composite of posts I made at WoodNet. I am surprised that no one here has noticed an addition on Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.a ... at=51&ap=1

I helped evaluate these films, working through a wad of different grits to narrow down the micron progression, and trying to get a fix on their longevity.

Keep in mind that these should not be considered a replacement of oil/waterstones in a permanent set up, but are ideal for working with PM steels or as part of a travelling kit.

That said, the films are amazing in their ability to hone steel, and their longevity. I have some that have been through at least a hundred cycles (per piece). Just be careful that you do not inadvertantly slice the film (with a rough edge). I use a little camilla oil for a lubricant. This works very well.

Regarding the mesh sizing: Firstly, it is available in this sizing from the manufacturer I believe, which makes it cheaper I imagine. Secondly, I had the idea that one could (as I have) stuck all meshes on one 12" x 6" substratum (glass or whatever), which makes it convenient to store and use. A 6"x3" mesh is large enough for either freehanding or a guide (note: these meshes act like diamond plates - there is no cross contamination). The mesh requires very little "movement" to do its job. I did not experience an issue with dubbing. The mesh is unlike sandpaper - it is very flat and on a hard backing. Be sure that you clean the substratum well - dust below will create a bump, which will end up being sliced.

The meshes chosen (15/3/.5/.1u) allow for the least extra wear on each successive mesh ... in other words, the most efficient use of each mesh. You could forgo the 0.1u if you wish, but I must say that the addition of this takes the sharpening level to something well beyond "scary" ... frightening sharp.

Here is my "sharpening centre" - a 1" thick length of flat granite ...

November1.jpg

At the start I used water to lubricate and carry away the swarf. This was recommended by LV. I quickly changed this to water-plus-detergent, which was a big improvement. Later I suggested Camilia oil, which was an even bigger improvement.

I was also evaluating the new PM steel for LV, plus I had CPM 3V and M4 on hand, along with A2. Testing the films on softer steels is a lot like testing plane blades on straight-grained woods - it is less likely that you will find important differences when the conditions are easy. Using harder/abrasion-resistant steels really shows up the potential of these films. They work just as well on the O1 and A2 steels, but then the differences with a Shapton or even an oilstone will be reduced significantly.

The mesh-Camilia oil combination is quite a different feel to waterstones. Even more so along the spectrum is a cast iron plate with impregnated diamond paste. These are hard and slippery - very little feedback. Waterstones, even the hard ceramic stones, given more feedback. My old Kings, which were quite soft, gave lots of feedback.

I really would not consider the diamond film for " taking care of a nick". This is the weak point of the film - it is vulnerable to being cut. Avoid contact with ragged edges . The film is best for dull blades, not damaged edges.

Would I exchange the Shaptons for the diamond film for non-PM type blades? Not for everyday honing - I prefer the waterstones. However, for the PM type steels, no question - the diamond film wins hands down. Also as a travel kit. The film has huge potential there.

In summary, these meshes are a must-try. Prepare to be amazed. You may not stop smiling!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Interesting Derek...I wonder how they compare to the 3M films I'm currently using? It would also be nice to know when/if they're available in the UK - Rob

Hi Rob

I have been using the 0.5 micron 3M sheets (from LV) for quite a while, so I'm familiar with them. In use I get perhaps a dozen reliable cycles. This does not begin to enter the world of the diamond film, either in durability or in cutting ability.

BTW: The diamond film is self-sticking - just peel away the rear protective sheet. The 3M film I have requires spray on contact glue.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for that Derek, I'll look forward to seeing them for sale in the UK...hopefully it's the sort of line that Axminster ought to stock - Rob

Rob you should be able to buy direct - cannot think the postage will be that great?

Rod

Harbo":lqi2pkjo said:
Rob you should be able to buy direct - cannot think the postage will be that great?

Rod
I'm not desperate at the moment Rod to switch to another format as I've got plenty of 3M films to use, but should they become readily available in the UK, it may well be worth having a little play - Rob

I fancy them too...the 3M film is wonderful but the cheaper one is silicon carbide...the more expensive...aluminum oxide...but the method of substrate bonding is what makes them so very good.

Very interesting and not as expensive as I would have thought!

Jim

First saw them today at the Lee Valley website...was going to ask about them...Derek I thank you for the info..I may pick some up the next time I am in a LV store..may be awhile...closest is 700 km
Brian

Back