Diamond Fretsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
I took delivery of my Diamond fretsaw as planned yesterday. I've been using it this afternoon and hope to write a proper review eventually. My first impression is that this is a very large saw! It's substantially longer than my Hegner 2 (38" as opposed to 24") and it has a noticeably different cutting action. Unfortunately, the wooden floor in my workshop seems to lend itself to undue vibration so I've had to relocate the Diamond to a room that isn't ideal for it because it's so small. I'm having to stand to one side when I operate it and reach across to feed the wood! It's currently sitting on a sturdy wooden bench atop a concrete floor but the vibration, although diminshed, remains.

I don't think it would be fair to write a full review of the saw until I can find a suitable base for it. Nevertheless, my initial experiences are largely favourable and I can understand why it is so popular with its owners.

Gill

How about making the base unit heavier? A bucket/bag of wet sand adds a lot of additional ballast?

Adam

Thanks guys - both are good ideas. In the short term, I think it's going to be lowered onto a concrete floor in an outhouse, then I'll build a very heavy dedicated bench in the main workshop. I particularly like the idea of using a paving slab on the bench top :idea: .

Gill

Don't the ladies just love diamonds :)

If the machine vibrates on concrete it must be some unbalance in its system somewhere?
So perhaps you can return to the old location when the remedy is found.

Gill,
Like Devonwoody says.....check that the machine is level all round.....it also might be possible to lag screw it to the floor...if possible use some cork between the frame and floor before anchoring.

I have seen a few heavy Union Graduate lathes fitted in wooden workshops...the owners cut out a section of the floor and poured a footprint size of the base then bolted it down.....they also used rebar and went down quite deep and brought the height up to suit their size.......a wooden frame mould was also used........might be a possibility.

That was a nice saw...i tried to buy it about 2 years ago from the same guy in Dunoon......dont know the condition of it now but i fancied it then dont know what made him change his mind as i offered a few quid more than you paid at the time.

have fun

Ian

Thanks Ian - more food for thought. I tried operating the saw on the floor today. Unfortunately, the floor's not very even but there was still a marked improvement in performance. Perhaps I need to persuade His Lordship that a breeze block plinth and slab top is the order of the day. I'll need a lot of luck to get away with that idea!

When the saw was delivered to me it didn't work, despite the written assurance of the vendor that it did. He claimed that it must have been damaged in transit and suggested a drive belt might have come off. I took the saw to its manufacturer (who only lives a few miles away) for repairs. The manufacturer, Mr Woodward, reported that the saw could not have been in working condition at the time of sale due to damage to the motor and wear on the bearings. I know that you have an engineering background, Ian, so I can only surmise that the saw suffered heavily during the time between you seeing it and me buying it. It may have been a nice saw two years ago, but it wasn't when I received it.

Gill

Gill":107aozif said:
When the saw was delivered to me it didn't work, despite the written assurance of the vendor that it did. He claimed that it must have been damaged in transit and suggested a drive belt might have come off. I took the saw to its manufacturer (who only lives a few miles away) for repairs. The manufacturer, Mr Woodward, reported that the saw could not have been in working condition at the time of sale due to damage to the motor and wear on the bearings. I know that you have an engineering background, Ian, so I can only surmise that the saw suffered heavily during the time between you seeing it and me buying it. It may have been a nice saw two years ago, but it wasn't when I received it.

Gill
Thats a pity...it was nice when i last saw it.........i've got something that might interest you.......I know you do mainly scroll work but......if you ever fancy doing shaker boxs i have got a full set of jigs.....stainless steel water trough complete with heater specially designed for shaker boxs and i beleive the plans kicking about somewhere. all mainly from some shaker box maker from the states but his name eludes me
I bought a scrollworkers workshop a while back mainly for his scrollsaw and this came with the package and i never really got interested in it...the only thing youll need is the brass tacks and a bandsaw to cut the material.
I'm not looking for money for it.....i just want some space, I've just bought an opus metalworkers filing and hacksaw machine and i need to create some space....it would be a pity to through it out.

Chris if your reading this i still havent been near the loft......I have got way to much stuff....its really getting time for a clearance

pm me if your interested

Ian

Hi Ian

It's very generous of you to offer me the shaker boxes kit. It's a bit of a bolt from the blue and I'm going to mull the idea over a bit, if you don't mind.

Unfortunately, I'm also rather pushed for space in my workshop - how bulky is it?

Gill

No worries Gill....i've had a couple of PM's today....your top of the list and if you dont fancy it, the setup will go to a good home i'm sure

Ian

meant to say the tank is about 1200 x 300 x 200 and rest is is a box about the 800 square....there is a lot of jigs,they cover the full range as well as the lids

Hell's teeth. Why do I only see things like this either a)Too late, or b)When it's a plan for Norm's router table or PWW issues which I have anyway... ](*,) Anyway, John Wilson's probably the chap in question; he's the only maker of the copper tacks too. Ralph Brendler's site is a mine of shaker box info as well.

Cheers, Alf

Gill, i had the same problem a few years ago and i cured it by using "Draper Vibration Absorber Mats" Product Number 30743. They are at home so i am not absolutely sure how long they are (about 30"x12") but i bought 2 and put 2 legs on each one.

At the time they cost about £10 each, but they are worth every penny because they work extremely well.
As i have said mine are under the legs. The reason for this is because my saw is built into the stand, but they would work even better if you put them under the machine itself and then put the machine on the stand.

Just a thought, could his lordship lift the floor boards in the area you want the saw to go and put breeze blocks or if the gap is not deep enough in that particular place, try something thinner such as a pathing slab, so that when he puts the floor boards back they rest directly on the breeze blocks. This would make that spot very firm leaving the rest of the floor the way it is now.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Woody

Hi Woody

Where did you buy your mats from? I've checked online but just about everywhere I look postage and packaging costs as much as the mat!

Gill

Hi Gill,

I got mine from a shop in Portsmouth when SWMBO and i had been over to the Isle Of White, so that is not much use to you.

The cheapest that i have found on the net is £5.99 at www.tool-catalogue.co.uk but as you have said the pxp is about the same price as the mat, mind you thats not a bad price if it cures you problem.

Why not try a search of local draper agents.

Regards

Woody

Gill,

I can probably come up with a marble slab (heavier, flatter and thinner than concrete) if that might be an alternative for you.

What is the footprint of the Diamond?

Cheers,

Trev.

Not yet, Woody. I think the project may go on a backburner until the Stoneleigh show when I hope I'll be able to pick up an anti-vibration mat without having to pay horrendous delivery charges and I may be able to meet with Trev and take delivery of his marble slab.

Gill

I beleive that since Gill has had the saw back following an overhaul this problem has now been solved and was due to the used saw being damaged prior to her buying it. Not the design.
As I have seen a Diamond in operation many times and used many of them I am convinced that vibration is minimal, however a springy floor or work bench can lead to all sorts of complications and should be avoided at all costs.
Gill please feel free to contradict if my information is not correct, as I am refering to 2nd hand information regarding your saw and your post on another forum. Hope all is well. See youon the Diamond Forum soon. :) :)
LOL

Paul

Latest posts

Back